BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I reading this correctly? For TUNAS, Recreational Mid-Atlantic pelagic permit for 2021
ONE Bluefin tuna 27-73" per vessel per day. Trophy (larger than 73" CLOSED)
THREE Yellowfin per person per day >27"

2021 Recreational Atlantic Tunas Retention Limits
Effective January 1, 2021, the bluefin tuna (BFT) daily retention limit is the default limit of 1 school, large school, or small medium BFT (27 to <73"). This default limit applies to both HMS Angling category-permitted vessels and HMS Charter/Headboat category-permitted vessels, and is effective for all areas except the Gulf of Mexico. Angling and Charter/Headboat vessels may also land 1 BFT tuna measuring 73" or greater per vessel per year in all trophy areas. The recreational yellowfin tuna retention limit is 3/person/day or trip. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length. There are no recreational limits for bigeye, skipjack, or albacore tunas.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That is the way I read it and would be a reduction from last year when you could keep and under and over. Even worse for charters who I think were allowed 2 unders and an over last year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, sport fisherman and the charter boats just got another kick in the crotch. Do you boat the 30 incher or release it and hope for a bigger BFT and then release the 50 incher because you already have the 30 inch football on ice?
Kind of difficult to quickly determine a BFT from a YFT before you boat it with a gaff in your hand. Even with aggressive CPR, not many tuna will recover from a gaff wound.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Stay tuned for updates as these are the default regulations. The limits start out like this every year and are usually adjusted in May to reflect the numbers that make it worth the trip. Let's up the adjustment tradition continues this year.

Reactions: DocSide22
1 - 7 of 7 Posts