BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Gona hold off until last few days of March and save my blood $$$$$. Last few years it seemed that the big ones were early May late April. Don't get me wrong, many spikes and schoolies in April and even late March. Always Cats! Looking forward to hitting the River soon enough.

TF

Reactions: The River

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm thinking April at least. Did anyone hear if Shags is going to be opening this year? I heard the covid put a hurtin on them and may not open.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gona hold off until last few days of March and save my blood $$$$$. Last few years it seemed that the big ones were early May late April. Don't get me wrong, many spikes and schoolies in April and even late March. Always Cats! Looking forward to hitting the River soon enough.

TF
We are probably going to meet each other this year .
I will be heading south on the River a little more again so I’ll be in your neck of the woods .......
I drive an older silver 4Runner .....

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
We are probably going to meet each other this year .
I will be heading south on the River a little more again so I’ll be in your neck of the woods .......
I drive an older silver 4Runner .....
New Blue Rav 4. Cooler on wheels with a green bucket = me.

·
Registered
77,135 Posts
Hey guys any recommendations to buy bloods for someone who fishes out of ridley Marina just below CBB?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys any recommendations to buy bloods for someone who fishes out of ridley Marina just below CBB?
I only know of Two and they are in north east philly

Map of bait n tackle near me

Sportmaster Bait and Tackle
4.6 (193)
Bait shop · 6301 Ditman St
Open ⋅ Closes 5PM
In-store shopping

Brinkman's Live Bait & Tackle
4.5 (215)
Fishing store · 4999 Linden Ave
Open ⋅ Closes 4PM
Fresh- & saltwater fis

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a small deli in national park NJ close to where I fish also always has them
Called
Bill & Eileen’s

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Blood worms are getting harder to come by .
The bait &Tackle store’s dam near have to jump through hoops to find suppliers.

every year the crop gets worse,
The worms get smaller , the golden goose is Dying , they took all the big breeders .

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I know blood worms are the ticket, but don't forget clams work and so will bunker. One April a few years back we had some nice catch and release stripers using surf clams while boating in the river out by national park.

·
Registered
77,135 Posts
Thanks Rick. I think there's another a little further south but still on the Jersey side. Our local guy(Pet shop owner) bailed out so there's no one on our side selling them now. I've had success with clam a little later in the run but Bloods are the first go to. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Gona make the first trip of many to the river after work this Thursday. Tide sucks but gona give it a go at dead low and see what happens. Hopefully I can find bloods. Plan on hitting high tide on Saturday morning. Let the games begin!

TF

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
1st report of 2021. Fished dead low and 2 hours of the turn with over priced bloods and ended with 3 shorties to 20" and a fat head catty - missed a good shaker due to a walker getting in my way when I went to grab the pole and try to set the hook. The guys fishing next to me said they had a bunch of fatties up to 24" and claim to have had a legit 28" earlier in the week!
At any rate - was good to be on the river and feel some tug. Weather was not as nice as expected as it was foggy and got chilly by 6 PM. Gona blow this afternoon so no go today but plan is to be on river for the high tide Saturday around 10 a.m. Go get um boys!

TF

Reactions: TP3

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm thinking April at least. Did anyone hear if Shags is going to be opening this year? I heard the covid put a hurtin on them and may not open.
I don’t think Shags is going to open for fishing equipment. They had too much competition with WallyWorld down the street and Cabela’s right across the bridge in Delaware. It’s sad but small family run stores in that part of the county can’t compete with the big box stores, especially those right across the bridge in Delaware. Greenhorn Outdoors at on NJ Rt 49 in Shiloh, between Salem and Bridgeton, has a lot of equipment and always seems to have bait, except minnows. Shags was a great store!

·
Registered
13 Posts
1st report of 2021. Fished dead low and 2 hours of the turn with over priced bloods and ended with 3 shorties to 20" and a fat head catty - missed a good shaker due to a walker getting in my way when I went to grab the pole and try to set the hook. The guys fishing next to me said they had a bunch of fatties up to 24" and claim to have had a legit 28" earlier in the week!
At any rate - was good to be on the river and feel some tug. Weather was not as nice as expected as it was foggy and got chilly by 6 PM. Gona blow this afternoon so no go today but plan is to be on river for the high tide Saturday around 10 a.m. Go get um boys!

TF
Good luck Tog
Where did you find bloods and how over priced?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got out today ,

calm river conditions , no wind
massive
Debris field of tree branches and logs floating around messing things up , got very frustrating dealing with that .....

Fished 4 hours of incoming , to 2 hours past the turn , zilch ............
Bloods are getting up there in price now .

1 - 20 of 83 Posts