I heard someone caught a 50 “ incher at the
DOD ponds last Thursday .
So , they are definitely here , and around ,
It’s right time , right spot .

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Good luck Tog
Where did you find bloods and how over priced?
small coffee shop in Pennsville right near my area. 15 for regs and $22 for jumbos that were not so jumbo. Trying to find a lead on surf clams by the bushel

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Saturday report
Fished high and 2+ hours of the out as I had to leave to go get my shot. Fished bloods as normal on a fish finder and had 4 shorts to 20" and a few fat cats and a perch. Gona go ball next time as the little bites chewed up a doz fast. I too heard of a few cows caught at DOD area so they may be a little early this year.....only way to find out.......go fishing. If anyone has a line on surf clams LMK as now that STC is closed and no old man Jim in Essington (actually he passed years ago but always had the biggest surf clams for cheap), I need a new clam man. Left my gear at home today as weather man screwed me and said windy later this afternoon and it appears to be wrong. Looks perfect on the river as I type.

Gona shoot for after work Tuesday at fish the outgoing tide til dinner time.

TF

Reactions: The River

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Fresh clams are hard to get anymore in SJ. Been looking for places as surf clams work in the spring, not a big fan of spending $15-20+ on a dozen bloods for perch and catfish to nibble up.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Fished the outgoing yesterday after work and had immediate action on schoolies up to 23" and some were fat! Caught about 7 in an hour and then nothing right around mid tide for about an hour or so. Just as river was getting low and the SE wind backed off a bit.............wham! A 43" beast came sniffing. Got her on a big worm ball ($10 worth of worm). Had to have a family that was passing by help land her - they were amazed at the size of the fish. Kids were flipping out - was cool. Put the tape on her and then safely released her to go do her thing! The girls are in early! Back at it Saturday and on Easter Sunday!

TF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fresh clams are hard to get anymore in SJ. Been looking for places as surf clams work in the spring, not a big fan of spending $15-20+ on a dozen bloods for perch and catfish to nibble up.
I've been wrapping the bloods in tulle and catch a few fish on them before rebaiting and the small fish can't get to the bloods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Went out Yesterday morning hit the last 2 hours of outgoing tide and half the incoming. Setup above the CBB and started hitting shorts right away. We catch fish in both in and out tide ended up with around 30 shorts with the biggest a male just under 28". Sure would have liked to have caught a 43" like Tog but just didn't happen maybe next time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fished the outgoing yesterday after work and had immediate action on schoolies up to 23" and some were fat! Caught about 7 in an hour and then nothing right around mid tide for about an hour or so. Just as river was getting low and the SE wind backed off a bit.............wham! A 43" beast came sniffing. Got her on a big worm ball ($10 worth of worm). Had to have a family that was passing by help land her - they were amazed at the size of the fish. Kids were flipping out - was cool. Put the tape on her and then safely released her to go do her thing! The girls are in early! Back at it Saturday and on Easter Sunday!

TF
Nice fish Tog

·
Registered
343 Posts
My buddy and I hit it yesterday. High tide was 3:30 PM. We arrived around 2:30. Beautiful day, not too much wind. My buddy started with a short and I followed up a little later with another short. He finished it up with another short. We called it quits around 5:30. Still have a dozen or so bloods left, so hoping to hit it again Saturday when the weather is better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
next week looks like a nice warm up might be happening,

Anyone plan on giving it an early try soon ?
I'm new to this site so Hello everyone. I'm also a little confused about the NJ regulations for striper fishing on the Delaware. As I read the regs the river below Trenton is closed for striper fishing between April 1 and May 31. Does this mean you cannot fish for stripers at all or that fishing is catch and release? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
The river has confusing regs. both PA and NJ have different regs for the same river so depending on the license you have and where you launch would be the determining factor. in short you can catch and release during closed season. INLINE CIRCLE HOOKS REQUIRED.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts