BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Retainer launched this morning to beautiful conditions and an incoming full moon tide. I didn’t have much time to fish. I headed over to the Somers Point area and drifted in about 8-12’ of water near some red cans. Not much happening. There were quite a few boats already out but I stayed away from the fleet. I tried about 3 drifts with no bites so I moved to a different area. I managed one short, about 16” on a pink Bucktail Willie bucktail and pink and white gulp. Tried a few more drifts nearby but had to go to work so I quit at 11 or so, and the tide had just turned to outgoing.
Water was clean but cold 61/62 degrees. The outgoing was likely warmer.
Looks like Monday is the next fishable day for me. Looking forward to fishing this summer. Hope to see some of your ugly mugs out there!
Retainer out.

·
Registered
13,554 Posts
we stayed through the change to the outgoing and nothing doing. 2 of us picked up 4 skates, no flounder bites.

we tried a lot of water from almost back by the ac country club, the channel toward margate/longpoint, margate bridge, lakes bay.

·
Registered
13,554 Posts
Rob, what was hour water temp back there? Had to be around 65?
Shame on me but don’t normally have a thermometer with me and use an in-hull transducer which serves the purpose but doesn’t give an accurate temp read

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the water in the back there tends to warm up faster than where I start out my fluke season. A lot of shallow flats back that way. I tried the flats today, but I had a limited amount of time. I figured the founder would be up on the flats with the cold water temps, but I couldn’t devote the time to find them.

·
Registered
13,554 Posts
A lot of boats were out there with us and no doubt some might have found them, but not while we were there

·
Registered
134 Posts
Few days ago my buddy got 5 keepers- as far from the inlet as you can get seems to be the right move. I just got the boat in and was hoping to get out this weekend but weather not looking so good.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Few days ago my buddy got 5 keepers- as far from the inlet as you can get seems to be the right move. I just got the boat in and was hoping to get out this weekend but weather not looking so good.
Monday will be nice.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
try the deeper water.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Got out behind Margate. First spot the temperature was 65 and the depth range from 8-16. Had two shorts two shorts in 30min. Decided to move around till I found the warmest water I could. Found a spot with a 71 temp. Depth range was 3-7 feet. Had two shorts in an hour. Moved to my early season honey hole. Water temp 68 and depth 8.5-14.5. Current was ripping with the wind so I had to use trolling motor to slow drift. Had 4 shorts and two keepers to 21 in an hour. All fishing done on outgoing tide.

·
Registered
13,554 Posts
Got out behind Margate. First spot the temperature was 65 and the depth range from 8-16. Had two shorts two shorts in 30min. Decided to move around till I found the warmest water I could. Found a spot with a 71 temp. Depth range was 3-7 feet. Had two shorts in an hour. Moved to my early season honey hole. Water temp 68 and depth 8.5-14.5. Current was ripping with the wind so I had to use trolling motor to slow drift. Had 4 shorts and two keepers to 21 in an hour. All fishing done on outgoing tide.
maybe we bailed on that area too early

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heading out tomorrow morning. Who will be out in the SP area? I’ll be on 68, around 10:30/11am.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Was out there today for about 3hrs in the a.m. , only managed a few in the 16-17 range.
Water wasn't as dark as it could have been considering all the rain, incoming didn't hurt.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I headed out around 11:30 and met up with Mojo Rising. We worked the area pretty well but didn’t have any bites. Moved to a different area and we fished separately to find the fish. Well I was hooking up with a 17” and a couple 16” fluke. Water was decent but cold 58/59 degrees. Mojo started fishing the drift where I was and he hooked up with a 19.5 fluke. I did not get any more bites lol.
Seems like the bite is like last year, an hour before and within an hour of outgoing..
Nice day out there, wind was a bit difficult with the incoming tide but once tide shifted it became flat but the drift was too fast.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I finally got the boat in and took a shakedown run, all good. Saw the creek was 58deg and the bay was the same so i did not even try but i do have to say a few years ago I had one of my best flukin days in 57 degree water.

·
Registered
13,554 Posts
The fish are there, just need more of them to unlock their jaws. I’ll be out Friday assuming this mess Thursday doesn’t hang around.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was supposed to have wings with Fran then fish on the mojo rising. Neither happened, as I was a bit busy at the office. I checked with the Mojo and he was still out, and I figured since I planned to gas up around 4, I’d just continue on out.
Caught the last of the incoming, water at dock was 68 but out by the bridges it was 62. Not much higher than Monday (59) but better. Water was clean. Wind was SW but light.
I sucked. I had no bites. I was using a single bug eye bucktail 5/8, with a new Penny shrimp and the other rod had a BW rig, white/chartreuse twister and a white shad twister.
If I can get some painting done tonight, I’ll have credits to go out bright and early at sunrise.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Left the dock at 6 am. Top of tide then outgoing. Water was 66 and clean. Took awhile but finally found some flounder drifting from 20’ of water up the bank. Managed 3 shorts, one was 17 1/2. Last drift I had a 3 lb bluefish. If I had a flounder in the box I would have kept the blue, but cooler was empty, so back it went.
May go out later today if wind is okay.
I have not yet caught a keeper fluke.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went back out around 4. Drifting a single white bucktail with salted mackerel. First drift landed a 21” fluke. That went into the cooler but that was it, no other bites. Water was 66 no weeds but a little dark due to the SW wind.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts