BASS BARN banner
181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Last markers right when you make the turn for the GE Reef. Low in the water , hard to see in the rollers.
I don’t know, I haven’t made that turn yet. I went out and made a right of OC reef and I didn’t notice anything.
Weird not having the bell buoy out there. I thought it was being replaced?

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
No just a real nice rod that I purchased for flounder. I was pissed for about 2 hours and replaced it.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Fished this morning on the beach for about an hour at sunrise. Caught a NC keeper flounder, (released-season starts 9/1), missed a blue, and had 2 other nice bites.

Good tides next weekend. I like to fish low tide from the surf.

Reactions: toolguy73

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Fished this morning on the beach for about an hour at sunrise. Caught a NC keeper flounder, (released-season starts 9/1), missed a blue, and had 2 other nice bites.

Good tides next weekend. I like to fish low tide from the surf.
What is nice about low tide down there is the drop off. I like to get on the beach at mid tide and find an area where the slough meets a point where I can walkout onto the sandbar and reach beyond the drop off. I’ve had excellent results on Ocracoke. But the last couple years have been sketchy. Ocracoke went right to a drop off, there was no sandbar and gulley at all, at least off Ramp 67.

·
Registered
13,747 Posts
What is nice about low tide down there is the drop off. I like to get on the beach at mid tide and find an area where the slough meets a point where I can walkout onto the sandbar and reach beyond the drop off. I’ve had excellent results on Ocracoke. But the last couple years have been sketchy. Ocracoke went right to a drop off, there was no sandbar and gulley at all, at least off Ramp 67.
Retainer, exactly what you describe is how sections of North Wildwood beach was up until about 2007. At low tide you could wade thru the trough and have about an hour and a half before the depth of the trough exceeded 5’.
Once on the bar in May, you could get very, very, large bass with a 75 yd. cast.
That was the only time of the year I fished clams.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Ha! 5’?
The gulley in Hatteras exceeds 10’ in places, sometimes deeper. If you’re stuck on the bar and water has covered up where you walked out, the rod was held up over your head with water up to chest and neck.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Typically I got out about an hour before advertised low and walk to the second bar and try to find a deep drop off. Yesterday I had peanut mullet being chased probably by blues and macks come right up to my legs.

I used to go out at dead low and fish problem is if you fish more than an hour you could have a significant tidal shift and have to swim in with a rod. The current here is always strong to mostly from the south.

·
Registered
78,462 Posts

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Well tomorrow may be sporty. We are having the Hurricane Henri pass by a couple hundred miles away and the surf is up--really up and there are serious currents. Good time to be a surfer.

We shall see....

Reactions: Byter

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Well tomorrow may be sporty. We are having the Hurricane Henri pass by a couple hundred miles away and the surf is up--really up and there are serious currents. Good time to be a surfer.

We shall see....
Full moon too, so tides will be higher also. A lot of trout in the sound this week. Been catching on popping cork and just regular jig. Even a few reds in the mix. Did see a couple reds in excess of 40in out on the shoals in Avon. In about 2-3ft of water

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Went out today at almost full low and the tide was ripping. Walked out to second bank and caught this NC keeper too bad not 9/1/21. Had plenty of blue/trout hookups. Was able to fish for about an hour. The blues/trout chewed up all my swim baits.
c

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Full moon too, so tides will be higher also. A lot of trout in the sound this week. Been catching on popping cork and just regular jig. Even a few reds in the mix. Did see a couple reds in excess of 40in out on the shoals in Avon. In about 2-3ft of water
The good times are coming!

Reactions: bstriping

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Went out today at almost full low and the tide was ripping. Walked out to second bank and caught this NC keeper too bad not 9/1/21. Had plenty of blue/trout hookups. Was able to fish for about an hour. The blues/trout chewed up all my swim baits. View attachment 461351 c
Amazing how the color of the fluke match that lighter sand down there in the ocean. What a beautiful fish.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
What? Again? Lol, I’ll be down next month.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 · (Edited)
Made it out to the OC reef late morning . Started off with fish right off the bat. A nice fish came undone off the bottom, I let out my line to maybe salvage and landed a 17”. Had a few more nice takers but never made it to the boat, except an angel shark. Fished there for about 3 hours, it was nice out there today.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
I thought I’d try for a weakfish today before the rain came. Headed out to ships channel around 10:30 and made a few drifts and a few through the bridge. I saw some clouds coming so I check my WU radar but didn’t see anything. Drifted a bit there outside of crabby jacks and then decided the skies definitely looked ominous. Made a run up the Patcong but it was awful dark and then the skies opened just as I reached the bridge. Got to my slip and the thunder and lightning not to mention the buckets of water falling kept me under the t top for a half hour. Saw some wicked lightning bolts nearby and was glad I was in the slip.
Anyway, no weakfish today. Water was clean, around77-78 by the bridge.

181 - 200 of 240 Posts