BASS BARN banner
201 - 220 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
I called out Friday because it looked like a good day to run my Carolina Skiff out to the TI Reef. Ended up with a fat 20"er, and missed a lot of others.

I went out this morning on my son-in-law's boat. We ended up with 5 to 20" in the skinny water. We pulled onto his lift 10 minutes before the wind and rain hit.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Nice fish ^^^^^

Did not fish this weekend but planned my only fishing day for the so called flounder season. Thursday am. While planning with my buddy he caught a 21 incher that he painfully released. Hope the gods will reward us Thursday.

Reactions: toolguy73

·
Registered
157 Posts
I thought I’d try for a weakfish today before the rain came. Headed out to ships channel around 10:30 and made a few drifts and a few through the bridge. I saw some clouds coming so I check my WU radar but didn’t see anything. Drifted a bit there outside of crabby jacks and then decided the skies definitely looked ominous. Made a run up the Patcong but it was awful dark and then the skies opened just as I reached the bridge. Got to my slip and the thunder and lightning not to mention the buckets of water falling kept me under the t top for a half hour. Saw some wicked lightning bolts nearby and was glad I was in the slip.
Anyway, no weakfish today. Water was clean, around77-78 by the bridge.
That lighting when your in the boat always scares the crap outta me

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Today I tried from land down at corsons. I was there at the top of the tide and fished the outgoing for a bit. I was going for either weakfish or a speck. I was using a red jighead with the root beer speckled chartreuse paddletail I brought back from Hatteras last fall. I didn’t have much luck at all, snagged a couple spots but that was it. I thought it looked somewhat promising, maybe I’ll try it closer to dark later in the week when the tide is right.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Nobody fished today?

I went looking for a weakie or speck again today a hour before the storm came. Had some wind affecting my cast distance from shore. Tried from a few different spots with no bites.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wish i fished today-boat been down for two weeks waiting for part from Yamaha-should be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
I’m going in about an hour. I’ve had enough of the office. I’ll be here all day tomorrow and Thursday. Time to take advantage of the weather before the storm moves in.

·
Registered
13,741 Posts
I’m going in about an hour. I’ve had enough of the office. I’ll be here all day tomorrow and Thursday. Time to take advantage of the weather before the storm moves in.
wow, staying in for 2 straight days. oh the trials.

:D

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Headed out around 12:30. I decided early on that this trip would be a relaxing no pressure excursion. I ended up behind OC near the OCYC and was drifting the incoming tide. I was picking up some nice fish on the green bucktail teaser. 16” to 17.5”. Just as the tide went slack, I stuck my rod in the holder to do something and bam! I start getting spooled by a big Ray and the line snapped losing my nice top bottom setup. I didn’t have much luck after switching to another rod. Decided to go by the bridge for a weakie. Tons of bait, looked like big minnows. Tossed a pink bucktail with a pink gulp, and second cast I connected not with a weakie but a small bluefish. Called it a day around 6.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Went to my productive fishing hole and struck out. The water looked like a washing machine. Had one on the line and he shook it off. Was a short though.

Two things that stink here.

One I took a walk with my wife before I fished and had an invite to fish a different spot but I blew it off and they caught red drum to 25 inches, and a keeper flounder.

I have serious family and work obligations the next 2 weeks so my 2021 flounder season may be over. Slight chance I can go out again.

Bring on the drum and trout.

Reactions: Retainer

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I’m keeping my mouth shut about specifics. Just what I saw today was enough to ban myself for violating the spot burn rule.
Doesn’t anyone just go fishing anymore and do their own thing? Why is it that the next day an area is saturated with boats? Pisses me off but I have only myself to blame.

I am officially banning myself from this thread for 1 week.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Fish have tails, spot burns have never helped me catch fish or influence where i fish. What i am interested in is general depth thats been doing good, water clarity and temp. I can screw up the rest all by myself

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Given today's ridiculous regulation set by "tree huggers" AND you give spots away you deserve the company....Give Rigs, Bait,Species and Tides BUT NEVER the SPOT unless you like company around you

Reactions: wired98

·
Registered
938 Posts
I should've stayed in bed. 3 shorts and a croaker at the OC Reef. I swear they were the same three 15 inch flounder that I caught. Tried using that croaker to catch something bigger but nothing.
Down till Tuesday and I'm no quitter so hopefully should be decent enough to get out tomorrow and Monday

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
I should've stayed in bed. 3 shorts and a croaker at the OC Reef. I swear they were the same three 15 inch flounder that I caught. Tried using that croaker to catch something bigger but nothing.
Down till Tuesday and I'm no quitter so hopefully should be decent enough to get out tomorrow and Monday
I saw ALOT of boats heading out to the inlet for the reefs between 6:30 and 9. I mean a lot. No thanks.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Given today's ridiculous regulation set by "tree huggers" AND you give spots away you deserve the company....Give Rigs, Bait,Species and Tides BUT NEVER the SPOT unless you like company around you
Tell me somethingI don’t know.
When will you be allowed to go fishing? Bass tagging season is upon us .

·
Registered
938 Posts
I saw ALOT of boats heading out to the inlet for the reefs between 6:30 and 9. I mean a lot. No thanks.
Yeah quite a few at the OC Reef. I fished on the south side seemed like most were in the north side.
Also heard as some chatter on the radio about the PoPo being out there but I didn't see'em

201 - 220 of 240 Posts