BASS BARN banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
6/6/21 report
Fished 0600-0930 behind Margate. Got out at the top of the tide so fishing was a bit slow to start. Once the tide got moving, the wind picked up causing wind against the tide. Used the trolling motor to give myself a proper drift. Ended the day with 17 shorts and 0 keepers. Water temp started at 68 and finished around 71. I did a lot experimenting with jigs today. Started with my usual white buck tail and chartreuse gulp. Once I started getting hits I switched to jig head and different artificials and then switched to a bottom sweeper jig with different artificials. While the jig head and artificial didn’t produce great, the bottom sweeper with artficials was deadly on the 14”-17” flounder.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sad state of affairs Weaver. 0 for 17. What does that say for the fluke fishery?

Out of 4 trips I’ve made, granted a couple weren’t long trips, I’ve caught only about, what, maybe 8? With one keeper but it was 21”.

I’ll get Willie out soon and hopefully we will make some progress.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My ration this year is 2 for 37 in season. (8 total hours). Not making it into the halls fame with that batting average. I was 2 for 3 the Thursday before opening day. As far as the flounder numbers I believe it’s time to have a two bag limit per day any size within the inlet and a two bag any size plus a trophy fish (maybe 20+)limit outside the inlet. My concern of course are the meat in the freezer types who will run back to the dock and offload and turn around and head back out. Got to cut down on the amount of fish that die after release.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
We can start a separate thread about the fluke stock etc. Lets plan to keep this about reports. I know I touched on it first, but you’d think out of 17 fluke there would be a keeper in the mix.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Got out around 6:30am yesterday and got two 19" fluke right off the bat. Then tide slacked up and it was picky but i left with my three-- nothing big but no bugs and a beautiful day. All hit on fresh strip baits. Hope to get out for seabass before it closes. Gonna check out new wreck on LE dont expect much on it yet but want to take a look at it.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Went out this morning for 2 hours. It was high tide and had just started to go out. I fished one area. Water was warmer, 73, on outgoing tide. Water cleaner than yesterday, I’d give it a 6.
Using salted mackerel strips again. Managed just 2 shorts, a 16” and a 14”. I tagged both.
Looks like that’s it for me for the week.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Fished 6-10am Sunday, 2 keepers out of 5 caught. First trip this season. Played hookie since weather doesn’t look good rest of week. Burned some comp time. Fished same general area 6:30-1, 3 keepers out of 10-12 caught. Both days top of tide to mid then it shut down big time...all bucktailing.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Fished 6-10am Sunday, 2 keepers out of 5 caught. First trip this season. Played hookie since weather doesn’t look good rest of week. Burned some comp time. Fished same general area 6:30-1, 3 keepers out of 10-12 caught. Both days top of tide to mid then it shut down big time...all bucktailing.
Excellent. I can’t wait to put in a solid 3-4 hour trip. I’ve been averaging 2 hours. If anything, I’m ruling out where the fish are NOT hanging out lol

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
3 trips this year for me. Not many fish caught. On the first 2, 6 made it into the boat. 2 of those were keepers, 1 at 20" and one at 18 1/2".

The third trip was last Sunday with 2 guys from work. Boat total was 9, with one kept at 19". The water temp at the bottom of the tide was 74.5.

Reactions: Retainer

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Heading out this morning for the tide. Stop by to say hello if you’re out and about. I’ll be on 72.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We had lines in a little late today. 9:30. Drift was good, not too fast despite incoming with NE wind. Water temp was 65. We finally found a nice drift line with fluke, but all shorts to 17”. Most hit on the salted mackerel on bucktail. Once the tide switched, it was all over. Wind against tide, bad drifts.....no bites. Buddy did have a couple 16 and 17 on minnow on outgoing, but wind picked up a bit and I called it at 2:30.
Saw a few friends out today. Mojo was nearby fishing, Nevermoor stopped by to say hello on his flats boat, Starky stopped by then Early Al who showed me some nice fluke he caught.
Good time today and seeing everyone on the water.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Water was clean today, 65 on incoming then up to 68-70 on outgoing. We ended up with about 15 shorts. I didn’t tag any today.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Clean indeed. 9 times out of 10 I hate fishing incoming, didn’t have much of a choice today. Hell bent on going. Launched 8:45-9. Caught two keeps on incoming, buddy caught one. Slacked and it died. Hour after switch, picked up my last around 1:30 so I tied up to them and hung out. They picked up two more on outgoing. Solid day. 6 keeps out of maybe 15 fish. Boaters seemed little more dumbed down than normal good grief.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Snuck out to fish the outgoing this afternoon with buddy. Launched at 2:30. Drift was a little speedy today. Had a flurry of action at first two spots picking up four keepers to ~20” in the first hour and a half or so. Then it just shut down. Moved around to few other spots, picked up a few more shorts and had a couple potential come unbuttoned. Packed it in at 6:30 and went to the house.

Reactions: Retainer

·
Registered
13,552 Posts
Taking the grandsons out this afternoon for their first flounder trip, ages 6 and 7 1/2. Just want something to bite,
keepers would be a plus. Will have them on 3 way rigs and will throw a variety of stuff to see what works.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Taking the grandsons out this afternoon for their first flounder trip, ages 6 and 7 1/2. Just want something to bite,
keepers would be a plus. Will have them on 3 way rigs and will throw a variety of stuff to see what works.
Let’s us know how you made out.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I managed to get out, once again only for about 2 hours. Caught the last of the incoming and some of the outgoing. When I crossed the GSP bridge, I could see the clean water break pushing about halfway up the bay behind Somers point. I headed beyond the break and fished clean water, 68 degrees. Caught a couple shorts on minnow, and also caught some on gulp with a BW rig. The wind was stronger than predicted (what else is new?) out of the SE. Water temp on outgoing was 72/73 but water was dark.
Overall about 8 caught to 16”, I tagged a 15”. I really hope for the day where I can actually fish more than 2 hours.....this isn’t cutting it.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts