BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Retainer, I really appreciate your threads which turn into seasonal fishing reports. I’m local to your waters now (GE Bay Area), fishing a little tin boat, but spent most of my young adult life fishing out of Absecon and Great Bay.
I’m going to head out after this blow and start searching, in years past I’ve almost always had great luck drifting eels deep in the back in the last week of October when the weather is still mellow. Aiming for Friday evening and hopefully I’ll have a good report!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hit behind longport and margare yesterday 0730-1030 to no avail. Wind was honking but I was still able to get the boat in good position to fish. Not a touch or swirl but plenty of bait. Drifted eels in the inlet for an hour with the same result. Water was 62 and surprisingly not a ton of debris

·
Registered
16,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn’t make it out today, between office and family duty, plus the wind, I decided to work. I’m fixing to get out around 8:30 am tomorrow if all goes as planned. I put up the eisenglass Sunday afternoon. Good thing, looks to get chilly tonight.

·
Registered
16,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I managed to sneak a couple hours this morning. Water 58, perfect. No wind. Did some searching and ended up with a 31” bass on my first catch. She gave a heck of a fight. Measured her up and didn’t have a tag handy but I released her to swim again. Made another pass over the same area and connected with a small one, 22” that I did tag and released. Using eels on a 5/0 in-line circle, perfect hook sets in the corner on the mouth.
So this is technically my second and third bass of the season. Looking at Thursday morning as my next trip out.
Food White Black Seafood Fin

·
Registered
16,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No fish yesterday. Wind picked up a bit. Steady N at 20 easy. Had Mr Mojo on board. Didn’t really find any bait. Tide was running very high, and once it turned it was ripping on the outgoing.
Today was a different story, less wind at first and found some bait fish. Wind was NE but only 10-15. Almost had one hookup, then I had one slot and my buddy caught a 29” on the next drift. Then the wind started honking again and had wind vs tide.
I don’t know if I make it out tomorrow. I will probably wait til the fan turns off Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
No fish yesterday. Wind picked up a bit. Steady N at 20 easy. Had Mr Mojo on board. Didn’t really find any bait. Tide was running very high, and once it turned it was ripping on the outgoing.
Today was a different story, less wind at first and found some bait fish. Wind was NE but only 10-15. Almost had one hookup, then I had one slot and my buddy caught a 29” on the next drift. Then the wind started honking again and had wind vs tide.
I don’t know if I make it out tomorrow. I will probably wait til the fan turns off Monday or Tuesday.
I tell you what, between the NOREASTR on Halloween weekend and then this week with the new moon and the constant wind- Mother Nature has been on the rag lately and she's not giving up. This wind seems to be non stop. I do enjoy reading your reports and keep at it. Family and I walked the boards at OC today, it was windy down there and the surf looked pretty rough- no birds working the ocean.

·
Registered
16,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Fished this morning til about 1. Took a couple hours but finally connected with a really hard fighting bass. I knew it was keeper size and once I got it to the boat, it said no way and took off. Landed it a few minutes later. 29” but fought much bigger. Tagged and released her to swim and spawn.
Beautiful day out there, light winds, still a higher than normal tide, which has to be due to the moon. I did not get any other bites although the bait seemed to be there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I tell you what, between the NOREASTR on Halloween weekend and then this week with the new moon and the constant wind- Mother Nature has been on the rag lately and she's not giving up. This wind seems to be non stop. I do enjoy reading your reports and keep at it. Family and I walked the boards at OC today, it was windy down there and the surf looked pretty rough- no birds working the ocean.
Between work, weddings and non stop wind, I’ve only been able to take the boat out once since mid September. Complete wasted fall so far.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Left the boat on the trailer after last weeks cheater trip to Belmar so no local fishing. About to drag her back north for round two. Good job on those fish retainer, what temp you seeing back there.

·
Registered
16,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I should add that I u
Left the boat on the trailer after last weeks cheater trip to Belmar so no local fishing. About to drag her back north for round two. Good job on those fish retainer, what temp you seeing back there.
Yesterday it was 53/54. Hitting 55 at some points.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts