BASS BARN banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Weather cleared out this afternoon just about when I finished my last project for the day. I got out around 2:30 with a line in the water by 3. I noticed the water temp came up a bit to 57 and settled at 56 which was good to see. Found some good bait marks with the tide still moving in but no bites. It was really nice out there late today. I think I’m gonna pass on tomorrow, instead do some house projects then fish Sunday.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Fished this morning 7-11AM. Wind didn’t get bad until the end but only one hit to show and missed the fish. As dumb as it sounds I’m still trying to figure out the whole back bay eel drifting thing. I’ve been targeting channels and depth changes with not much success. Todays hit did come down current of a bridge piling in the slack water. Had two nice marks and naturally couldn’t connect. Back out tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Fished this morning 7-11AM. Wind didn’t get bad until the end but only one hit to show and missed the fish. As dumb as it sounds I’m still trying to figure out the whole back bay eel drifting thing. I’ve been targeting channels and depth changes with not much success. Todays hit did come down current of a bridge piling in the slack water. Had two nice marks and naturally couldn’t connect. Back out tomorrow morning.
You have to find where the bait is stacked up, like this.
Yellow Gadget Font Display device Machine

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hunt those fish by finding the bait. A lot of bait is sometimes stacked up along the sodbanks. Channel slopes too. But the bridges produce too.

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I didn’t make at first light, but waited on the tide this afternoon to start coming in, I grabbed a dozen small eels and had a line in the water by 1:30. Found bait along one sodbank and after 4 passes, I had a ice bass in the boat. 28.5”. Thought about releasing it and remembered my wife telling me I need to bring home some fish, so into the cooler it went. I hunted a bit more and found some bait and bass stacked up. Had 2 eels out, drifted thru the bait and had a bass on. Then the other rod went down. Brought the one in, 25” and released it right away. Brought the other one in and it was a 21” that I tagged and released. Caught a few more slots then the sun went down.
A pic of the fishfinder
Gadget Font Reflex camera Display device Digital camera

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hit the incoming tide today, launched from Somers Point about 1:00…first few drifts didn’t get a touch with eels. Around 3:00 lost a nice fish that hit a clam on the dead stick rod near a sod bank. Switched to clams and worked that area with only a skate to show for it. Around 4:00 switched location and went back to drifting the eels and picked up a very stocky 25” fish. Had a bonus tag but didn’t want to use it on this one, I think it’s going to grow to be a slob!
Had a hard time getting a good drift in my little tin boat with the winds, the bay was a little sporty this afternoon. Best marks on the finder came early in the trip at my first spot but couldn’t get a bite. Surface temps on the finder were 52/53. Hoping to get out this week one day after work to try again…

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
I didn’t make at first light, but waited on the tide this afternoon to start coming in, I grabbed a dozen small eels and had a line in the water by 1:30. Found bait along one sodbank and after 4 passes, I had a ice bass in the boat. 28.5”. Thought about releasing it and remembered my wife telling me I need to bring home some fish, so into the cooler it went. I hunted a bit more and found some bait and bass stacked up. Had 2 eels out, drifted thru the bait and had a bass on. Then the other rod went down. Brought the one in, 25” and released it right away. Brought the other one in and it was a 21” that I tagged and released. Caught a few more slots then the sun went down.
A pic of the fishfinder
View attachment 468551
I have the same FF on my little boat and its driving me crazy. Very erratic. Need to discuss sometime.

·
Registered
31,529 Posts
You guys should start checking the ocean, last 4 weeks it's been tough to find one under 38". Some of them have to be down there by now. Friend of mine got some big one's just north of AC today

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I was hoping to squeeze in a couple hours over lunch today, but the wind is honking and the tide was about 2 hours to dead low. I have work commitments later so I am on standby til Saturday.

·
Registered
13,841 Posts
I've been sick for like a month... two different viral colds from the grandkids (thanks!)... squeezed in one awesome trip for tog, but that's it. Pulling the boat on Saturday, will hit the sand after this... which I haven't done since early September.

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've been sick for like a month... two different viral colds from the grandkids (thanks!)... squeezed in one awesome trip for tog, but that's it. Pulling the boat on Saturday, will hit the sand after this... which I haven't done since early September.
I think I told you I’d take you fishing? Wonder if I can get you and Fran on board?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Figured I would give a report from up north Wednesday. Broke SRI around 7, messed around with some bait stacked right at the outside of the inlet (peanut bunker) while deciding what to do. Saw about a dozen party and private boats make sharp left turns and punch it up the beach so we said looks like north it is. Ran up about 10 or so miles found the birds and bass busting on the surface. Threw pencil poppers and tsunami talkin poppers caught a bunch of smaller fish like 24”-28” size. Decided to try and find bigger fish pushed north some more found a big beautiful school of bunker tight to the beach. The bass wanted the liveys on the bottom drifting threw the school landed another 4 bigger fish between 30-38” and dropped a few more. Bite died so went back to fishing birds and switched to shads and gliders caught a bunch more nothing bigger than 30”. Wind came up out of the south so headed back to inlet around 1230. I think most of the fish were on peanuts that day. Where did the big mommas go? Striper Ken seemed to have bigger fish still way inside the raritan. Buddy who fished out of GE ran from the southern lumps to the red tower and found nothing. Going to leave the boat on the trailer, maybe take one more crack at them next week weather permitting before I put the boat out back in the slip. Bob and Seagull how did you guys make out fishing out of barnegate?

·
Registered
344 Posts
The big girls are definitely still in the Raritan. The amount of bunker in the bay is astounding to me at this time of the year. The bunker was so think that you can feel your lure bouncing off of them during the retrieve. Usually its sand eels and rainfish by this time. It seems yesterday was hit or miss for some reason with the party boats heading ocean side and getting massive blues.

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Big fish seem to be leaving my area so if you guys want to catch a 50lber check the ocean
Maybe off LBI but it’s been a long time since the migration hugged the coast down here. 5-10 miles off definitely but within 3 between absecon inlet and cape may? Been a looooong time.

·
Registered
13,841 Posts
I think I told you I’d take you fishing? Wonder if I can get you and Fran on board?
I remember that... between the weather and craziness in the holidays, and the fact I'm still working (target end date Q122)... it'd be a miracle. My life is not my own from here until January.

... getting sick really put a damper on my October/November plans.... probably the worst my wife and I came down with head colds++ in a very long time. I had mild pneumonia (or Bronchitis... my daughter thinks the urgent care doc was wrong) which still kicked my butt, then wife and I got this other nasty bug overlapping... eh, gettin' old :D)

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Went out early while the frost was still on the boat. I didn’t see too much bait on the incoming until about the top of the tide, was fishing a few different spots trying to find the bait. After the tide turned, the bait came together for about a half hour. Managed to get a double hookup, Tagged and released the first fish, a 32” bass. The second one was small at 22” and I decided he needed to get back in the water sooner than later so I did not tag that one.
That’s all to report today. Water dropped to 49/50. Hoping it warms up a bit for tomorrow morning.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts