BASS BARN banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Headed out about 7 this morning. Found lots of bait in the back near some sod banks…the screen was lit up and the bait was breaking on the surface. Thought for sure it was going to be a blitz! Dead sticked an eel and worked a white gulp in the area for a couple hours with just one lost fish on the gulp to show for it, and a couple spiny dogfish that were chewing on the eels. Moved to deeper water when the tide turned and instantly hooked up on an eel, but lost that one too. Felt like a nice fish…
Water temps 51. Water was very clear. Conditions were perfect, overcast and almost no wind. Likely my last bass trip of the year, blew a hub bearing on the trailer and looking at a hectic work schedule the next month or so. Hoping to get my little guy out trout fishing a couple times and maybe do some perch fishing with him before it gets bitter cold out :)

·
Registered
25,864 Posts
Fished a beach in SE NC, we have a really nice trough on the beach from the king tide a few weeks back. Caught a blue which immediately became bait for the guy fishing next to me, caught a puffer and 2 whiting (kingfish) I was not at my best today had lots of misses. Saw a nice black drum caught. The guy I gave the blue to was confident the big reds would be by. Had to go so I dont know if he was right.

Water was at least 65 fish were all over the place. Can get used fishing in the water at Thanksgiving.
Road surface Asphalt Grey Tints and shades Landscape

Water Liquid Beach Fluid Body of water

Water Leg Beach Gesture Finger

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Left the dock at 7 am, line in the water by 7:30. Fishing eels. The incoming still had about 3 hours til high so I had a lot of time to find the bait. Found a real nice section of bait and hooked up with a small bass at 22” that I tagged. Then had another small bass that I went to grab with my bass thumb and it shook the hook, swam away, so mu ch for tagging that one. The bait scattered so I tried another spot where I connected with the 31 or 32 the other day, yesterday?
Anyway about a minute into the drift I see a lot of promising marks of bait, Boom had a nice 27” that I thought about keeping with my bonus tag but instead I thought I’d see a keeper bass at some point. So I tagged it and it swam away. Moved around and didn’t find much else. Just as the tide turned to go out, I went back to the 27” fish spot and boom! Another nice fish at 28.5”. This one I kept for dinner since I don’t have many bass fishing days left.
Weather looks ugly next 2 days.
I have a tog trip with Mojo on Wednesday.
Thanksgiving morning looks decent so if I go togging on Wednesday then it looks like Thursday morning for the next bass trip.
Beautiful morning, no wind at all, water was 49 again. I hope it bounces back up a bit.

·
Registered
31,529 Posts
Bob and Seagull how did you guys make out fishing out of barnegate?
Slow weekend for us. Big Bunker seemed to have moved out, bait was mostly rainfish which had small bass and dogfish on it. We should have moved out to the 3 mile line, but the crew was getting tired. I don't target the the big fish so I stayed with the small bait hoping to find one over 28"

Guys up north still doing well so more fish still coming south

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I took a 2 hour “lunch” and headed out today after the rain. Fished from 11 to 1 from top of tide outgoing. Water 50/51. Saw some encouraging bait on the screen but no bass around. No wind either. Next bass trip is Thanksgiving morning.

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I was ready to leave the dock this morning and pulled up my eels. I noticed the lid wasn’t locked and all my eels gone! Either an otter or theft, well either way it was theft lol. Ran over to Tight Lines for a dozen and ventured out. The water temp at the dock was 44 and had me concerned. Tide was still coming in so I was hoping it would bounce up to 50 at least. The highest it reached was 46 but it may have gone up a bit more as the tide was still coming in when I got back to the dock.
I fished for close to 3 hours, found some bait and made a few passes, nada. Tried another spot for a bit, nada. Went back to the bait and had a 22” and a 18.5” bass, tagged and released. By the time I found the fish it was time to go.
Hoping the water temps bounce up. Have a Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

·
Registered
555 Posts
With the crappy sw wind yesterday fished the bay. Started at slack high ventures to some back water shallow areas- cold and dead as expected. Tide started out moved closer to main channels water bumped up to 50 degree. First spot had bait (thanks retainer) but didn’t mark any fish or get any hits. Last stop before having to go in first drift marked a pile of fish crept back up and spot locked right behind them- they were on a drop off- was able to cast up current and swing our bucktails through the zone I got 2 my buddy got 4 all scrappy fat healthy fish around 24-26”. Felt good to shake off the skunk and get some local fish in the back. White 1/2-3/4 oz surf bucktails with white culprits bounced on the bottom did the trick.
Water Sky Fisherman Cloud Fish

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Nice report chaser. I’ve read a few reports with “culprits “ on a bucktail. What is a culprit? I usually have a twister or paddletail on, maybe an occasional fork tail. Never heard of a culprit..
Yeah I could not believe the wind kicked up out of the southwest Thursday morning. It dropped out pretty quickly though, yeah, just as I had to quit! Enough of the SW wind please. Summer has been over for awhile now, lol.
Seems like this time of year, it takes more time to find the bait and fish. I’m going to get caught up on a few things at home. Sunday, I plan to fish a couple hours before and after the tide. It may be my last trip.

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
There is a break tomorrow in the wind. With the water temps dropping and my schedule, it’s possible that Sunday will be the last trip of the season for me.
Not to fear, Killington received 16” of snow yesterday. From the ocean, to the mountain.

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Today was one of those special days weather wise. Started out from the dock at 11. Water temp at 42 at the dock had me a little concerned, again. But tide was coming in and had 3 hours to go, so I was hoping for temps to hit 45 at least. Wind was not a factor today.
Found bait early on but no bass. Tried my usual spots without any sign of bait at all. Came back to first spot and at the end of my drift found solid bait and hooked up with a 23.5” bass. Tagged and released. Had a bit of a dry spell and figured I’d take one more drift. Boom! Landed a 36” fat bass. Tagged and released. Tried one more drift but nothing else for me today. I figured it would be impossible to beat a 36” fish.
Hood Grey Seafood Fish Fin

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
42 is cold, we had 52-53 in the ocean today
Not sure why the back is 10 degrees colder. It’s odd. Usually it’s maybe a 5 degree difference but the gusty west winds must be to blame. Plus we have had some cold nights at or below freezing.
I also think the ocean water is only pushing up so far in the back due to the stiff west winds to make a noticeable difference in the water temps.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Wow that fish is a chunker!

Today was one of those special days weather wise. Started out from the dock at 11. Water temp at 42 at the dock had me a little concerned, again. But tide was coming in and had 3 hours to go, so I was hoping for temps to hit 45 at least. Wind was not a factor today.
Found bait early on but no bass. Tried my usual spots without any sign of bait at all. Came back to first spot and at the end of my drift found solid bait and hooked up with a 23.5” bass. Tagged and released. Had a bit of a dry spell and figured I’d take one more drift. Boom! Landed a 36” fat bass. Tagged and released. Tried one more drift but nothing else for me today. I figured it would be impossible to beat a 36” fish. View attachment 469695

41 - 60 of 64 Posts