BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did the first run of the season Monday chasing the eddies near wilmington and spencer. Beautiful seas added to antisipation. Got a late start though (after checking my running lights the day before, I left on!), age getting to me. Had to charge up for almost an hour before starting port side. Left inlet 4:30a and all four of us were happy with the conditions and situation finally. About a half hour short of the Wilm we found acers and acers of life (Wales, pilots, dolphin, birds, plankton). Had baits ready anyway so we pulled up and set out our gear. Was really excited...ended up for no reason. Trolled around for an hr with lots of wildlife sights, but no bites! So we pulled up for the canyon. Got there 8:30a and set out again, still some life, temps were 61-62. Hunted for the eddy breaks and found the edge of one, but seemed very gradual. 62-64 over a hundred yards. There was some heavy plankton lines with the gradual changes though. Well the fish were not interested in what we were showing today. We kept with the plankton lines for a while then followed the 100 up towards the Spencer. One boat we talked with indicated a coverup of 4 then 2 between canyons, they sounded legit and we were in the same area, but it did not produce for us, same colors, baits too.
Oh well headed back around 3p from the tip of the canyon and just had to enjoy the ride...albeit without knowing what was for dinner! Enjoy the season fishers, if its a nice day with no fish its still worth it to go with all effort. I guess there's next time...maybe we should have just worked the first stop longer.

·
Registered
17,481 Posts
You can’t catch fish from the couch. Putting the time in will gain experience if not fish. Keep a log, so you go back and try to avoid a mistake or improve upon a situation. Water temps sounded a bit on the low side though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ran to the Resor Friday. Water temp was around 65 the whole way out. Water was clear blue. Marked some good bait pods south, southwest of the Resor. Unfortunately, did not get any Tuna.

I did get to enjoy seeing my son, Niece and Nephew catch what they thought were their first Tuna, as we had a decent pick of false albies. Unfortunately we had to to explain to them what cardboard tastes like...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh this is a nice topic, I am wondering if anyone would like to revive it for this 2022.
I might do it but unfortunately I am far from the coast at the moment (usually on the east) and will be for a while (since Im far from home too). But I am now in the great state of TX and I might do a run to the shore (freaking 6 hours or so away) and might give you all an update from the gulf. It's pretty warm here so is always a good season haha!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts