BASS BARN banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Thanks, couldn't figure that out for myself. I would like to get out again but I have some gear issues. I bought a pair of used rigs and when I hooked up the False albacor the reel started sliding around on the seat, I guess that's why they were sold, if the fish was bigger it would have been a big problem getting it to the boat. I'll probably orer a pair of Pinnacle rods but for now I'll just drill through the top of the seat and add a set screw to keep it in place. Can't make it worse, the but is not replaceable.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Sorry I haven't been back to this one in a while, bummer losing a YF like that. Any idea why the line chafed? I bought a couple of Pinnacle rods last year w/o rollers and I'm planning to get another set to replace these Ande rods. I never really had any issues with ring guides and line and I like the simple approach but I've also never experienced an extended battle with a large fish other than stingrays. I've fought several on flounder gear up to 50# and brought them to boatside w/o rollers for over 60 minutes. I even brought a 30# to boatside on a super ultralight Shimano Sedona reel w/o any chafing. Hope you have better luck next time, any info would be super helpful.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Fished the Wilmington 9/3. Wind never laid down as forecast and was pretty bumpy all day, which limited sword and tile opportunity. Nothing on the troll and pots were empty. Did get a few tiles at end of day when it got slightly nicer, but overall very slow day.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Sorry I haven't been back to this one in a while, bummer losing a YF like that. Any idea why the line chafed? I bought a couple of Pinnacle rods last year w/o rollers and I'm planning to get another set to replace these Ande rods. I never really had any issues with ring guides and line and I like the simple approach but I've also never experienced an extended battle with a large fish other than stingrays. I've fought several on flounder gear up to 50# and brought them to boatside w/o rollers for over 60 minutes. I even brought a 30# to boatside on a super ultralight Shimano Sedona reel w/o any chafing. Hope you have better luck next time, any info would be super helpful.
40lb leader w/ a j hook is risky if you don't get them in the jaw. The fish we lost was hooked deep going by the leader's condition and the way the fish acted. If our sardines weren't mushy I would of threaded the dine's on a circle but the bellys were ripping. Tuna teeth aren't big but strong and will eat/chafe threw leader.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts