BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Usually within 1/2 a mile. Sometimes a little past.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I nearly ran 3 knuckle heads over in a nasty 3' chop out past the 4 a Buoy Townsend Inlet. About 3 miles off the beach

Was running South out of OC. Radar clear as a Bell. Just happing to scan my eyes to the Starboard side and there appeared 3 Frigging Kayaks about 50 yds off the Bow.

About 60% of the time they were on the Blind side of the waves then pop up and vanish again.

I made a slight turn and came up to them and asked if they needed help. they said no.I did let them know they were very difficult see.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Ya i don't get idiots who go out that far. Unless you bring your yak out on your boat than launch it.
.5 of a mile is good because you have good bottom for fluke, stripers, blue, and your in like 30-40 feet of water.

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
when you guys launch off the beach how far out do you take your yaks?? or have you taken it??
All depends on how nice it is. On an offshore wind many times guys have neded rescue. Its so easy to keep going deeper on an offshore wind but very dificult for a begginer to paddle back against it. Ive gone a couple miles on realy nice flat days. 1/4 to 1/2 mile if its cold or choppy.

·
Registered
795 Posts
All depends on how nice it is. On an offshore wind many times guys have neded rescue. Its so easy to keep going deeper on an offshore wind but very dificult for a begginer to paddle back against it. Ive gone a couple miles on realy nice flat days. 1/4 to 1/2 mile if its cold or choppy.
what about with the hobie mirage drives must not be as bad:huh: hey barrel when do you open shop im looking into get a new kayak for spring wanna check some of the hobie yaks out?

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
what about with the hobie mirage drives must not be as bad:huh: hey barrel when do you open shop im looking into get a new kayak for spring wanna check some of the hobie yaks out?
Correct, I thought the question was about paddling. With a foot drive you have a lot more power to come back against a wind and tide. The learning curve is almost instant with a Hobie Mirage while it takes a couple years to be ome a skilled paddler. It is mistake to take chances though because You own a mirage drive. Like any mechanical device it can break especialy if you ignore maintenance over the years. Its a good idea to learn how to paddle even if you own a mirage.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Correct, I thought the question was about paddling. With a foot drive you have a lot more power to come back against a wind and tide. The learning curve is almost instant with a Hobie Mirage while it takes a couple years to be ome a skilled paddler. It is mistake to take chances though because You own a mirage drive. Like any mechanical device it can break especialy if you ignore maintenance over the years. Its a good idea to learn how to paddle even if you own a mirage.

besides, a surf launch and landing should be done with a paddle, not a peddle. although i HAVE landed with a mirage drive, launching always gets the paddle.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
There's nothing better than surfing the waves back in back to the beach.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.