BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I did not get a 22 lb tog. BUT, Capt Monty from Maryland put one of his customers on a 22 1/2lber last week. Its catch and release down there, so he tagged it, and it went back in. I don't know the state record for maryland, but thats a nice fish! I think it was 31 inches.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
BIGGEST - THE NEW YORKERS HAVE MUCH MORE LEANIENT REGS AND FISH HEAVY ON THE NORTH JERSEY RECS.

AS LEAST THAT WHAT EXPERIENCED CAPTS & TOGGERS HAVE TOLD ME. PRESSURE WAY LESS DOWN SOUTH.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The world record stood for a long time at 21-9lbs. It was caught by Archie Jordan on the Capt.Robbins. His record was broken by a Virginia fisherman in the early '90's at 24lbs. If I remember the story correctly, they caught a few fish on that trip over 20lbs. A few years back Tony Monica brought the record back to NJ with the 25lber.
I think the big ones are smarter. The biggest tog I ever saw diving was on a wreck loaded with tog. I waited an hour for the party boat with about 50 people on board move off the spot. When I talked to the skipper the next day, he said they didn't catch a single tog.
The tog always seem to be there. It just takes the right bait and conditions to get them. This year our biggest so far is 19.5 lbs. This slob was caught in the middle of the summer.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You are correct, BJ

The prior record to the current NJ one was held by Virginia.

According to the Virginia State saltwater records, the world record tog that Virginia "owned" was caught in 1988 by Gregory Bell off of Wachapreague. It weighed 24 pounds. If I remeber the writeup about that fish, I believe it said that he also had a 6 pound seabass on the top hook. Not too shabby, if true!

The current world record caught by Anthony Monica was caught in 1998. The story says there were 6-8 ft seas and snow showers, not the best conditions. Just goes to show ya', the fish don't care!

The information says that he caught the 25 pounder, which had a length of 34 1/2" and a girth of 28 1/4" on a custom 64 1/2" rod using a Penn 501 reel, Ande pink 30# test.

All I know is that I am perfectly willing to catch the next new world record tog. But, I am also very happy just catching 3-8 pounders, too. :D

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I forgot to add, the 19.5lb fish was sent back to grow some more.
I'm still stuck at 13lbs for my personal best. But I have netted plenty between 15 and 20lbs.

DD, 3-8 lbers are alot of fun.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Yes it is a Willis. 375 HP Yanmar. It cruises between 18 and 20 kts. We are still experimenting with some changes in the wheels.
It is all right in a following sea. Not too bad for a wide boat. Some days it is too much for the auto pilot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.