BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a 28' Grady white sailfish the other day with the wife as a compromise boat. Twin Yamaha HPDI's 225 I believe. Anybody have opinions on this boat (especially offshore) as my search closes in?????

·
Registered
829 Posts
If it's 80's or 90 vintage make sure to check the transom and stringers for wetness.

i owned a gw 1987 24 offshore, it ran alright with the modified v, but if it was sloppy you were slowing down to sub 15 knots.

i believe somewhere around the early 2000 the hull design was improved and people say the ride is better than the earlier ones.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Fat...go to the Grady White Owner's Website..www.greatgrady.com...to get some first hand info. The 28' Sailfish is the new version of the 25 Sailfish when they started molding the eurotransom on the boats...the 25 was a well regarded boat and handled big seas well..the paraphrase a boat review book....I believe it was in 1992 that they started using the Sea V 2 hull variable deadrise hull, which supposedly ran better and was more sea kindly...

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
What year? I would steer clear as an offshore boat if its older than 1992 and doesn't have the SV2 hull. The new hulls are better than the old ones, although they still pound in a good head sea. That being said the 28 is still a nice offshore boat for NJ and they were pretty popular (I believe Grady does not make them anymore).

Again, Grady's have a rough ride but they are tanks and very solid boats with quality hardware. I started offshore fishing on my dad's 25 grady and that boat got us home through some nasty Sh!t more times than I care to admit.

Also how many hours on the engines and what year? I'm not sure what block the 225s are, but the big block 250 and 300 weren't the best. The small block 200s are just about bulletproof.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We have a 1995 25 sailfish which i believe is the same boat. Overwll we love the boat, but i cant help too much with info for runing offshore because we mostly stay close for stripers and fluke. The cockpit of the boat is actually pretty big for this size of a boat and that's what we like the most about it. The ride is decent but as stated it does pound pretty good in any kind of a slop. We have twin johnson 200s and wot we get around 46mph and normally cruise between 28-30 mph. feel free to ask any more questions if theres anything you want specific information about.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looked at a 28' Grady white sailfish the other day with the wife as a compromise boat. Twin Yamaha HPDI's 225 I believe. Anybody have opinions on this boat (especially offshore) as my search closes in?????[/QUOTE

Fatmama, I ran a 2005 28 Sailfish for five years and took it overnighting in the canyons close to 20 times. We had twin 250 Four Strokes so a little different than the one you're looking at but depending on the year, the hulls might be the same. Shoot me a PM or ask me any questions. Good boat but man did she pound.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
We had an 02 Sailfish since new until Sandy took her out, we were very happy with her. The ride gets a bad rep but they are a variable deadrise hull so they need a lot of trim tab input to get them to run without pounding. If you point it and go and never touch the trim you'll pound, if you adjust as needed they'll run nice.

One thing I will say is the electrical is often subpar on Grady's so that would be worth checking out.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
one thing to keep in mind is that they are relatively light for their size and have a wide beam and large reverse chines...instead of having 2000 pounds of steel down low in her belly like an inboard would, the engine weight is hanging off the transom and does not add into ride quality....when it gets rough, you have to slow down...my 23 Gulfstream rides a lot different than my 26 Shamrock did with an 8' beam, inboard and full keel..would it blow the Grady away in the slop...sort of..it would still run 18 knots where as the Grady would be down to 14 or 15, but when it's calm, the Grady will run 30-35 knots and the Shamrock is still running 18-20....the Grady's are roomy and comfortable to be on with a lot of storage...regardless of what boat you have, you have to learn to dial in the ride, trim the bow up or down, pull the throttles back a bit and find the comfortable speed that matches the sea conditions. Are you one of those guys that goes out regardless of conditions? that may be something to consider...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.