BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my buddy headed out at dead high with blood worms, fresh clams and the usual lures. I threw perl storm shads, brown bunker looking shads and a couple other lures.....no luck. Switched to the bloods as the water turned and started heading out.......nothing for about an hour. At about 1.5 hours after the turn my buddy hooks up with a nice 25 inch striper. Great sign considering before that there was absolutely no sign of life. We fished where the most sun was hitting the water. He caught the fish on a blood worm on bottom rig. No lie I was using the normal FF rig with a float and he just tied his hook about a foot above the weight. So I say......beginners luck. 10 minutes later he hits another that was about 18 inches. We were fishing on the mud flats on the jersey side and it's only about 9-10 feet as far as you can cast out. With my float I was probably positioned in the middle of the water column. He would be on the bottom and beat me out 2 to zip. Maybe a fluke or maybe he has something here? Anyway no sign of herring yet....or maybe I need glasses :)

-Matt S.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Nice Report Mstelmac!
I gave it a try Friday with only a short 16" and a cat to show for it.Nice breeze too...
Good Luck this season.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Don't use floats with your bloods this early in the season. From experience, the bass are actually more of a bottom feeder than many want to believe, and especially sluggish in the colder water, they will stay near the bottom and look for scraps and easy pickin's. Again, not to say you can't catch with floating bait, but as you proved here and from my own personal experience, stay on the bottom until later in April, you wont be disappointed.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
149 Posts
mstelmac, where did you get the blood worms? I never fished for stripers before but want to give it a try this year, any other tips you would like to share would also be appreciated. If you don't want to give any tips that’s fine, but I still like to know where to get bloods.
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
I guess you could say I'm spoiled. I am waiting until the herring are here to chase the big cows. When I was a kid growing up in Philly I would ride my bicycle to the supermarket and buy some clams. Then bottom fished right under the Tacony Bridge. I used nuts and bolts for weights and caught striper's and catfish. Those were the days!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joe,
I'm an open book and will tell you everything I know. You can get blood worms alomost anywhere right now. Little stores like cumberland farms etc. that have a lime green bait sign in the window normally have them. I got my bloods at Bill & Eileens market in national park NJ. The worms were so/so. I guess I'm a little critical now because of the 11 dollar price tag.

There are a million places to get access to the river between the bay and mercer county. I like gloucester county because I grew up there on the river in west deptford. If your down that way give it a try at the end of red bank road. There is a good 1.5 miles of beach to try (park and walk the beach in both directions). Everyone is going to analyze the spring run a little different. Look for warm water discharges, muddy bottoms, etc, etc. I hear all of that and think there is alot of validity to it. However my opinion is that striper are in the delaware river to get to the spawning grounds and then have lunch on the way back to the salt (minus the resident fish). I really don't think that any one fish is spending too much time in one spot. I really feel that they are trying to get from point A to point B. So get in between A and B in the early spring and then find the herring when they are here in late march.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Joe,

I get my bloodworms at John's Seafood in Paulsboro. As far as our report we fished south of the CBB and came up short on bass. We got one perch and one cat, no herring. Things should be heating up soon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thank you very much guys, I appreciate all the info, I'm definitely getting out there this year. Do any of you guys know a web site with a good map of the Delaware?
Thanks Again
Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts