BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so this was my 4th or 5th time out this year in the FW pursuit for bass, I should just stick to fishing for sunnies cause I haven't caught any bass yet.

Reguardless, i went out yesterday after i got out of class, seeing how I probably won't be able to get out again any time soon. It was a real spure of the moment, wow i have the afternoon off(should have been doing research though for my paper) sorta deal.

I went to Newton again since it produced well for me last summer and again, I wanted to stay real close to home cause it was already 1:30 by the time i got out.

Since the last time I fishined Newton a few weeks ago, some of the pads/greenery has started showing up, though sparse. The water level however was way low imho, from where it normally is thus most of the vegetation resided in water too shallow to hold bass. I must admit however, i've never seen the water so clear at Newton as it was yesterday.

Regardless, i fished from roughly 2pm-6pm. I started with a high reflective gold jerk bait on one rod and a shallow running 1-6ft baby bass colored crank. Nothing. So i switched the jerk to a chartchuse 3/16 spinner with silver colorado/willow combo. I fished that for most of the remainder and had 1 big hit, shallow on a slow steady retrieve(i fished all different retrieves from fast to medium to flow to jerk and stop to jig yo-yo'in to draggin it on the bottom) from what I recall, off to the side of a point. I didn't set the hook well enough and it throw it. I was so mad.:mad:

It was by far the hardest strike I've had since i started bass fishing, since i traditionally have only used soft plastic worms/senkos which don't always generate a strike but are often only picked up gently. This bass woulda been my first spinnerbait bass.

Anyways, nothing else came of this trip.

Now my concern:

I saw quite a bit of dead fish in the water yesterday and a one struggling baitfish. I saw 3 dead catfish on the bottom, a few small bluegill and like i said, one baitfish (silver with black spot near its gill plate) struggling and swimming upside down, I was actually waiting to see if it would get hammered by something.

I've never seen this before at Newton. I've seen this at another lake out in PA that I race/row on, where one of the spieces dies after it spawns which explained the high numbers we find there every year washed up, or so the Park department claims.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
sayn3ver said:
one baitfish (silver with black spot near its gill plate) struggling and swimming upside down,
That's a shad. They are not hardy fish, and will die in numbers if the wind blows (not really, but it does happen with extreme temp changes, and as you said, after spawning)

Can't speak for the other species you saw.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
i have to say it happens a couple time of year over there
i go over to the offic there but there is never any one there, i think people dump antifreeze or something in there cause like i said it seems to happen a couple times of year. i never seen dead cats though just blues and shad

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
me and steve saw it last friday.it wasn't a significant amount of fish.the water level looked fine(it is somewhat tidal).the clear water thing-the lake will turn over in a few months and turn the regular nasty green color.;)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The Digest had a good article about fish suffering from viral disease. With the lack of bass and signs of other dead fish it could be a similar situation.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
If you saw a decent amount of catfish dead, then there is probably something seriously wrong. Catties are some of the toughest fish in the world, hands down. It's possibly some of the fish may have a disease, and the catties were eating the dead ones, and they eventually got sick as well. You may want to give fish and game a call just to see what they say.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't mean to raise an alarm. It's not like i wittnessed this huge fish kill but was the first time i've seen dead catfish(3 total) on the bottom(yes the water by the banks was indeed that clear).

Shad eh? I gotta remember that I.d. I cannot seem to keep all the different baits straight and it's hard enough just getting a solid i.d.

There were a few petroleum looking slicks on the water in one of the spots, just south of the little bridge closest to cuthbert blvd ie. a rainbow on the surface. Nothing big, but again, it was hard to miss with the water as clean looking as it was and the lack of algae. It was drizzling/raining earlier so no surprise.

This post was just more focused on my skunk streak i have going on.

I really feel i need to step back and slow down, go out with someone more knowledgable than I and see what I am doing wrong and learn some technique.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts