BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never read about persuing an extension to the 3-mile limit for Striped Bass.
I believe in being "legal" but I sick of seeing the fruits of "illegal" efforts.
Yesterday I ran from Absecon to GE to LE to Absecon and ended up with a big SKUNK!
I trolled, chummed and dragged (eels/clam/bunker) without one hit or seeing one bird.
I came back to the marina where I was ridiculed for being so honest. I was told that Fish & Game only makes you throw the fish back; that makes me sick.
I saw fish that were caught from 5 to 15 miles off my inlet.
I can't be the only person that is honest and frustrated.

REVISIT ---------------

Saturday in Cape May, fished the "rips" on the Rainbow III --- so,so trip but not the Captains fault.
I talked with 40 or 50 fishermen who could not answer my question, "How do we get the 3-mile limit changed?"

I need instructions, and from my amature research, so do a lot of others.

From the crowd in the "rips" there were a lot of honest fishermen.

With all those Party and Charter Captains, and all us Privateers we must have a voice.

How can we start something ??

[ 11-22-2004, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: stonerod ]

·
Administrator
7,670 Posts
Just go beyond three miles and fish for bluefish.
Nothing wrong with that...
There other ways to catch bass within three miles also.
Maybe you moved around too much, I dunno.

REN

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
stonerod-
Is is December already? LOL

Seriously- do you get mad when drug dealers drive around in big, expensive cars and don't get caught?

This topic will rule the board in about 2 weeks or so. Fish and Game will do more then make you toss the fish. They will no doubt toss you a nice ticket if you are caught with fish. The Coasties will be in on the game as well.

Only you can decide if you want to play by the rules or not.

Good luck out there.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I second that Partnership well said !!!!

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Originally posted by aquasport190:
What is the reasoning behind the 3 mile rule and why is it only pertaining to stripers?
For some reason lots think it's fine to have 99.99% of the Ocean as a MPA for one fish.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Chris,

Are you going to be out this weekend? I'll be fishing the Rips Sunday, maybe I'll see you out there. How about Volk?

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
stonerod -- I couldn't agree with you more. I follow the rules and am perplexed by otherwise law abiding citizens who insist on ignoring this one.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Steve, Im trying to get out,but this weekend is tough, I'll be out thanksgiving morning w/Volkie on board for our 2nd annual "KEEP ON KEEPING ON" Trip. Then hopefully all weekend long, Email me if you want to hop on.

Chris

·
Registered
775 Posts
Steve,

I'll be out in the AM tomorrow. If I get bored at my secret spot, I'm gonna shoot down to the rips. If I get tired of that, I might head out for some tuna. I'm off next week so if you would like to hop on board, I'll be out everyday from 09:30 to whenever. I just have to drop the kids off at school and then I'm shooting down....let me know. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. Too fun to even explain.... ;)

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
What is the reasoning behind the 3 mile rule and why is it only pertaining to stripers?
In a nutshell.....
Stripers are managed exclusively by ASMFC, which is only has exclusive mgmt authority from shore to 3 miles.

The action was originally taken to help aid in the recovery.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Stone,
Don't think you're the only one. I've been fishing off of Cape May for a few years and always seem to see quite a few boats "off in the distance" who I hear do pretty well. It's up to you to follow the rules or disregard. It's not worth it to me. You're doing right.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
3 mile limit is a Federal Law...break it and you are dealing with the Feds ....you don,t want to go there....they march to a different drum beat..in addition to boats they use helocopters....you don,t have a chance.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It's all about jurisdiction. Three miles to 200 is federal territory. That'll never change. The Striper closure is a federal moratorium. States control the area out to three miles.

You're doing the right thing. Don't sweat the issue. State penalties pale in comparison to what the feds can do. Let one of those ridiculing dockmates get caught with a striper in federal waters, and they won't be laughing when their boat is confiscated to cover the fines and costs!

·
Registered
285 Posts
First of all, i've never heard that if you get caught outside of the 3-mile line, you dont just get to through the fish back when there dead, you get hit with a big a** fine. I heard that the reason for the 3-mile limit is that it is reserved for comercial fishing boats, if you think about how many fish are taken from the rips and the bay, it would be 1000's of pounds of fish every year, if we could kill um every day the striper population would be much much lower:( PLus there is so many fish so close theres no need.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Not this topic already :rolleyes:

I guess it is going to be a LONG winter, Thank god I got Stains Renovation Project and My house to keep me pre- occupied :D

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
If it bothers you that much just pick up the phone every morning for the next month and report somebody.

You will get somebody eventually, trust me

1 - 20 of 25 Posts