BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Top 'O The Day!! I remember a while back someone mentioning a low opinion of these engines. I just shook hands on a SF with 3116's with only 450 hours on them installed new about 7 yrs ago. My surveyor and marine mechanic has not been to the boat yet but neither of them had anything bad to say about them. Anyone whish to offer opinions? Anything special I should have them look for? Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I repowered in 2001. Cat tried their darndest to get me to put a pair of 3126s in my boat. The 3116s didn't have enough power.

From what I was able to find out, the 3116 engines seem to work pretty well as long as the boat is not too heavy. However, I don't know anyone who has had decent luck with 3126s.

I have an express boat with no large hatches and I am so-o-o glad I did not put 3126s in my boat. I would have had to cut the bridge deck off again to drag them out.

Check with Mickey at Inlet Diesel in Point Pleasant Beach. He is the Cats Meow on Cat engines. He'll give you the scoop.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Capt Charley said:
Top 'O The Day!! I remember a while back someone mentioning a low opinion of these engines. I just shook hands on a SF with 3116's with only 450 hours on them installed new about 7 yrs ago. My surveyor and marine mechanic has not been to the boat yet but neither of them had anything bad to say about them. Anyone whish to offer opinions? Anything special I should have them look for? Thanks, guys!
They had to have a lot of modifications on the early models...your mech should be able to tell you or look up the mods. If they are mechanical that's tough if the previous owner didn't keep records...not sure if they did have electronic versions of the 3116 or was that the mod when they became 3126s???? I forget now but if electronic...the computer should (but might not depending on how/who did them) have all the updates from what I've been told...

·
Registered
216 Posts
get a good survey

well - everyone has an opinion - ask a hundred people, you'll get a hundred opiniions...but like an piece of machinery, maintenance and use of the product make all the difference. I believe these engines were particularly allergic to "over-propping"...meaning, the engines could not reach their maximum RPM rating at WOT. This means that the engine is overloaded through its entire power range and will cause pre-mature failures. ...the wieght of the boat really has nothing to do with it. ...BUT, heavier boats need more power...and many buildeers over-propped their boats to increase top end and cruise speeds. ..Blackfin is the very famous. I own one...and every owner i know has had to reduce pitch to solve the problem.

Best bet here is to get a detailed survey. I have used Ransome for all work on my 3208s. ...so far these guys have been fantastic. They did the initial survey on my engine and are now taking care of some repairs and major maintenance issues for me. ...they are a supporter here. You should call them...ask for Al Sewell

J

·
Registered
705 Posts
good topic..

Great topic Charley, tons of opinions, figured I would throw in mine. If you already have a Cat mechanic, ask him, if not call around, use the net and get some info. I looked at a few boats with 3116's, when I spoke to my mechanic about them, his response was, "its a crap shoot and I would advise against it ", many many known problems with the motors but some run like horses. We decided to go with a boat with some 370b Cummins motors instead. Much easier to work on and do most of the basic maintenance by yourself. Lastly and the most important, remember, one day you have to sell that boat. If you think you can explain to the prospective buyer why he should buy your boat with the 3116's, then, your one hell of a salesman. Good luck with your purchase, whatever ya decide. Joe/Dave, Manasquan Inlet, NJ

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Joe/Dave brings up a great point. Someday you will have to resell this boat.

K

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I don't know anyone who has had decent luck with 3126s.
2700 hours on mine and running strong. Friend of mine has nearly 8000 hours on a 3116. Main issue with them was a series of soft blocks that were manufactured overseas awhile back. That wasn't an issue with the 3126's. These engines can be overloaded with improper prop size. If you aren't getting full RPM's out of these engines, then you will have problems.

Another issue is that people want to run them hard. They are a non-sleeved block, and while they can be bored out and sleeved, they are for all intents basically a throw away block. To avoid getting to that point, instead of the 2450 - 2500 recommended by Cat (they are 2800 RPM engines), try running them at 2250. Give them clean fuel, fresh oil, and plenty of air flow. They'll go just fine.

Have an engine survey done. If you get the green light and you like the boat, then go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
stondoof said:
well - everyone has an opinion - ask a hundred people, you'll get a hundred opiniions...but like an piece of machinery, maintenance and use of the product make all the difference. I believe these engines were particularly allergic to "over-propping"...meaning, the engines could not reach their maximum RPM rating at WOT. This means that the engine is overloaded through its entire power range and will cause pre-mature failures. ...the wieght of the boat really has nothing to do with it. ...BUT, heavier boats need more power...and many buildeers over-propped their boats to increase top end and cruise speeds. ..Blackfin is the very famous. I own one...and every owner i know has had to reduce pitch to solve the problem.

Best bet here is to get a detailed survey. I have used Ransome for all work on my 3208s. ...so far these guys have been fantastic. They did the initial survey on my engine and are now taking care of some repairs and major maintenance issues for me. ...they are a supporter here. You should call them...ask for Al Sewell

J
Stondoof, I have a buddy who is running a 31 Blackfin this year and is trying to dial her in. Who do you use for props?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Ask a hundred people, you'll get a hundred answers. I have a pair of mechanical 3126s (385 hp) in my boat, they've been flawless for 4 seasons. The 3126B (now C7) is the electronic version. Those are the 450hp version (and I believe some were also 420 hp). As mentioned above, prop them right, run them at reasonable rpm, clean oil, clean fuel, etc. and they'll treat you well (just like any other diesel). I think 450 hp is pushing the limit for a 442 ci block, but the 300, 350, 385 hp versions are just fine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I value all of your opinions....Thanks. I'm having her surveyed next week and I'll make sure to take all of this into consideration. Keep the opinions coming! thanks again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
"resale" issues work both ways

The issue of "resale" will work both ways. Yes, someday, you'll have to sell your boat and will need to convince someone that the engines are OK. But...right now, you are the guy buying the boat. So...if an engine can reduce the overall value of a boat when you sell it, it will also reduce its value when you buy it. ..."seems" like the blackfins with the 370 cummins sell for more than the 3116 cats. ...so don't pay as much for one with cats when you buy it. ...sure - you might sell a blackfin with cats for 20K less than one with cummins...but that is not an issue if you paid 20K less when you bought it.

IOLAR - i have the 31 northcoast with 3208T cats @ 320HP @ 2800rpm with ZF 225gears with a 1.53:1 reduction. Same hull as the 31 blackfin. I have 3blade Michigan dyna-jet props that are 22"x23" and 4 blade which are 21x22. I cruise 22kts at 2300rpms - I reach the full 2800 rpms fully loaded with those wheels.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Capt Charley

We run a 1998 305 albemarle with the 3116. I believe the soft blocks went up to about 1997. You can check with a cat dealer with you serail numbers. If they are not the soft blocks then you are good. They will run just as good as any other motor. Ours are the 3116 with 300 hp, I believe that block is 6.6 lt. so that isn't really pushing too much hp for the displacement. Some 4cyl are pushing 300hp. Also the 3116 makes a 350 hp model. Same block just boost up a little. We have 1500hrs on ours. The only thing that has been done is route maintance and the most expensive has been a starter. Valve udjustment is rated around 1000 hrs. We did it a little later and the mechanic couldn't believe how little adjustment he had to do. Our never smoke, A little black puff when taking off, other then that they never smoke, even at spring start up. But yes these motors were grenades in the earlier year, They wouldn't last 200 hours sometimes, so if yours has 400 then they are probably ok, but yes gets the survey done, Also make sure the original owner has been using CAT 30 oil. This motors has a close crankcase and needs straight 30 either cat or rotella, Our owners manual tells you 15w 40 but that has since been change, running other oil then the 30 can cause numerous problems, Let me know if you have any other questions about these motors.

scott

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Several of you have mentioned the hp/displ situation. These 3116's are 300 hp on a 33' conv....13k lbs displacement. The boat is in NC, so if everything checks out I'll be bringing her to Cape May @ May 1st. I'd expect to use Canyon Club to service the engines. Never needed to get props redone (touch wood)....any recomendations? Thanks, folks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Capt Charley said:
Several of you have mentioned the hp/displ situation. These 3116's are 300 hp on a 33' conv....13k lbs displacement. The boat is in NC, so if everything checks out I'll be bringing her to Cape May @ May 1st. I'd expect to use Canyon Club to service the engines. Never needed to get props redone (touch wood)....any recomendations? Thanks, folks!
atlantis propellers. call ray 856.231.0106....

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132963

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Capt Charley,

You should be fine at the Canyon Club. They're CAT authorized and Dave Wrigley is one of the best prop guys around. He's been written up in several industry publications. He'll steer you to the right guys for prop service. Be careful who you use. We've seen motors that were 50 turns shy end up 100 turns shy after sending wheels out to correct the original issue.

Regarding the 3116 and 3126, frankly most I've dealt with have been great. Heck, CAT is the only brand that will sell you a new warranty on a used motor. That includes the 3100 series motors. Just my $.02.

Brian

·
Registered
613 Posts
Excellent advice. Make sure you ask where they 'steer' the guys with 8 blade 49" s and 48 Vikes who run aground during the MA500 (and need their props turned around on a lay day)!!

Also, whoever you use, ask them to MEASURE in your wheels while you wait........this should be NO PROBLEM if it is a computerized shop!

(I think there are alot of dust covered computers around- and well used pitch blocks..)

Be glad to answer any questions you might have......and measure your wheels for free.......Just give us a call (856) 231-0106.

ATLANTIS

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The boat is a 19789 33' Egg with new (450 hrs) 3116's. Kept in bristol shape by a longtime owner. Lots of teak and mahogany but I'm OK with that now that I'm retired. The Cat mechanic and surveyor should be done by next week. I hope all goes well.

Atlantis.....thanks for your generous offer. Of course we are doing a sea trial so I expect everything should be right but I'll be bringing her up from NC so I'll know for sure by the time I reach Cape May.

Again, You fellow Barner's are The Best!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Your welcome Captain and Congrats on the new ride!

Just so you're aware...We have many clients at Canyon Club and will gladly pick-up your props (if they need service).

But if you can.....visit our shop.... I'll show you the PROPSCAN system....and measure in your wheels on the spot! Just call 856 231-0106 and ask for Ray!

Good luck with her!

ATLANTIS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts