BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Expensive

We had 3208 TA's in our 37 Topaz. One of the lifters in the fuel injection pump stuck and wrecked the cam. This was in 1998. I seem to remember that CAT wanted about $5000 for the part. My brother and I rebuilt it ourselves for about $1000 in parts, but this was not a task for the inexperienced or faint hearted. There are lots of parts inside the fuel injection pump housing. However, it was a very rewarding experience as when we reinstalled it, the motor fired right up and ran fine for the remaining years we owned that boat. Some special tools are required for the rebuild as well as retiming the 3208's as you reinstall the pump.

Unless you are wed to the local CAT dealer, I would suggest you go online and do a search for rebuilt CAT parts. I know that 2 years ago, we identified a turbo rebuilder that could supply a turbo cartridge for about $5000 when the local CAT guy wanted $10,000.

Not sure about the aftercooler cost, but it should be a lot cheaper than a fuel injection pump. No moving parts. Just a small radiator core and some gaskets.

BTW, Capt. G on the Dauntless may have some more current price knowledge. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Captainbob said:
We had 3208 TA's in our 37 Topaz. One of the lifters in the fuel injection pump stuck and wrecked the cam. This was in 1998. I seem to remember that CAT wanted about $5000 for the part. My brother and I rebuilt it ourselves for about $1000 in parts, but this was not a task for the inexperienced or faint hearted. There are lots of parts inside the fuel injection pump housing. However, it was a very rewarding experience as when we reinstalled it, the motor fired right up and ran fine for the remaining years we owned that boat. Some special tools are required for the rebuild as well as retiming the 3208's as you reinstall the pump.

Unless you are wed to the local CAT dealer, I would suggest you go online and do a search for rebuilt CAT parts. I know that 2 years ago, we identified a turbo rebuilder that could supply a turbo cartridge for about $5000 when the local CAT guy wanted $10,000.

Not sure about the aftercooler cost, but it should be a lot cheaper than a fuel injection pump. No moving parts. Just a small radiator core and some gaskets.

BTW, Capt. G on the Dauntless may have some more current price knowledge. Good luck.

10k for a turbo cartridge???? thats nuts - the engine is worth about 18k as a rebuild???

Anyway - the price for a rebuilt ruel infection pump, through ransome, was in the 2200 range with a trade in.That was last year and it was up from 1700 the year before. I had one let go last year and ransome quoted it just in case it was needed. He was able to replace a few seals and I was good to go. There are 2 different style injection pumps used on CAT engines and both are interchangeable. It depends on what year you have. If you have 1983 or newer - you have the better, easier to adjust version. anything older and it could be either.

Anyone - call ransome and ask for melanie - she'll ge tyou an updated price. Just have the serial number from your engine ready.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got a price from Garden State Diesel of a$1000.00 to rebuild pump. Did anybody out there ever deal with them.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
1000 isnt bad - but the price I had included pulling the old pump, rebuilding it and installing.

Is the 1000 just for the rebuild?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oil pans are an issue. Did one 2 years ago and one last year. Motors are 1983 but from what I was told almost all the 1980's are a problem. If you need one I have a good used one that I took off I think it had been changed before I the boat. I had the motor out and order a new one before I looked.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there any rust or corrosion on pan? And how much. I really need two pans just bwondering how much a new one cost.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No rust the pan is like new. New from CAT is like $900.00. What year is your motors and what HP or give me the serial # to make sure the one I have will fit.

·
Registered
596 Posts
what kind of pan cast or stamped steel one or 2 piece pan also depends on what room you have work on alot of cat equipment 3208 inj pump aren too hard to remove time and install done a few over the years

masons in sewell does excellent work he done a few of are mack and cumings pumps for us

·
Registered
167 Posts
Frank are the motors in the boat? If so the motors will need to be lifted about a foot to clear the crank and get the pan off. If the motors are out it is easy. Give me a call if you want George Cell #732-824-1700

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Think Big said:
Frank are the motors in the boat? If so the motors will need to be lifted about a foot to clear the crank and get the pan off. If the motors are out it is easy. Give me a call if you want George Cell #732-824-1700
When I needed to raise my 3208s for pan painting/new engine isolators...I used 2- 4x8 strongbacks and some blocks and threaded rod to the lifting eyes. Then a wrench with one finger lifted those puppies without breaking a sweat or the bank!!!!!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Oil pans are an issue. Did one 2 years ago and one last year. Motors are 1983 but from what I was told almost all the 1980's are a problem. If you need one I have a good used one that I took off I think it had been changed before I the boat. I had the motor out and order a new one before I looked.

Do you still have a pan available???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts