BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are the options we have on the hooks. The jigs are made in sizes: 20oz / 24oz/ 32oz . Both hooks are available on all sizes. I like the thinner hook, but I think the public is going to want the bigger hook.

Your thoughts? I have some in stock now, but before I order more in, I want to make sure we do the right hook. This thing is sick. Yet, it works... ;)
Smaller jig is an 8oz jig to give a size comparison.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I know that I won't be choosing to jig tiles, but I like the idea idea of catching something on my weight.

I'd like to see one setup with a circle for this application.

Wouldn't mind seeing one a bit heavier too for days when a 32 won't cut it or when we're fishing several guys with different scopes

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Here are the options we have on the hooks. The jigs are made in sizes: 20oz / 24oz/ 32oz . Both hooks are available on all sizes. I like the thinner hook, but I think the public is going to want the bigger hook.

Your thoughts? I have some in stock now, but before I order more in, I want to make sure we do the right hook. This thing is sick. Yet, it works... ;)
Smaller jig is an 8oz jig to give a size comparison.
have tried 26 oz jigs but not this type better be in good shape for the 32 oz ones :eek::eek::eek: only know one guy that can do it all day his mane is armstrong :bow::bow:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having the Bushidos since last summer to play with, we have done some "non traditional" things with them. I know this may spark some debate, but we have tested and already built a few for customers on popping blanks. Having the longer "head boat" rod in a 7'6" size that can handle heavy jigs and beat the fish in half the time has already been achieved and is catching on.

Just because its called a "popping blank" does not mean it is only good for that. The longer rods are already up in the Cape area and have been fished in deep water. If it means anything, the first 2 rods were backed up by 2 more orders from their friends, and we have 6 or 7 up there now being used for bottom fishing. Blank is light, it handles jigs up to 20ozs for sure, ( we didnt have the 32's yet) and they are holding up well. Biggest fish on a 7'6" used as a conventional that we are aware of was a 200-225# BFT in October on a test rod. It was paired up with a JM Reel.

I know somebody may post reasons why they can't be used for this application, but .....they are and they seem to be working well.;) Just because they are "labeled" as certain rod blank, does not mean they cant be used for something else. Seeker was among the first with a popular bunker spoon rod and that was made with a surf rod blank. Thats the joy of rod building. :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you can rig the jigs with a circle, that would be wonderful, and especially if there is a swivel somewhere between the rig and the fish. Tiles spin on the way up and tangle rigs. My favorite hook has a swivel attached and it doesn't tangle nearly as much as they used to

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yellowfin, I will have a few made up and they can be tested?? Company making them is great to work with and will do anything asked and tries to make everything possible!

Philly, I was wondering the same thing? Its not a stupid ?? Its against our conventional way of thinking, but sometimes these ideas are the best ones I have learned. Its an interesting idea and sounds like it has a purpose.

Interesting......exactly why I like to ask these questions and get feedback. ;)

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Just booked my Alaskan cruise for early summer....plan on field testing a few of these jigs on halibut, lingcod, and such.

With the overall size of the bucktail material, possibly adding a second stringer or trailer hook so the bend just protrudes from the back end of the hair could also help...

Tight Lines,

Frank

·
Registered
279 Posts
Your fishing 300 to 1200 feet of water, even on your bait rigs, the fish is gonna grab it and try to turn, you don't have to swing. The commercial guys use circles and there's no one swinging those hooks.

And even if you want to swing, when you get the bump, lift, take a few cranks and hold it, if he's there, keep cranking, if not, at least with the bucktail, you don't have to worry about getting stripped, just drop it back down.

I've used circles with diamond jigs and they work better than j hooks. Its harder for the fish to shake itself off

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sorry TJ, I misunderstood your comment. I only use circles on my tile rigs, so circles on the bucktail make sense to me. Having two different hooks on the same rig makes no sense to me either.

Phillyfishing, I use circles for everything, and I still set the hook, Its not exactly necessary, but I do it to make sure the hook gets set in to the tough tissue securely, the circles also seem to keep the bait on better.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
32 oz. ultra minnow are you kidding me ? Tom i think you should look at the mustad gaff hook designed for party boat bluefishing..LOL!!!
700-1500' down jigging in hard current and rolling seas ALMOST 3 PDS OF LEAD ----NOT ME and i work out everyday..
:bow:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
32 oz. ultra minnow are you kidding me ? Tom i think you should look at the mustad gaff hook designed for party boat bluefishing..LOL!!!
700-1500' down jigging in hard current and rolling seas ALMOST 3 PDS OF LEAD ----NOT ME and i work out everyday..
:bow:

Its not my favorite thing either Tony, but its been requested for a couple years now. You know the deal.....we have to give everybody what they want in today's world. :D Being honest, these jigs have been heading to Alaska & Washington State for Halibut. A few tile guys who visit the shop had the idea for NJ.

BTW, here's a pic of the hook options for the guys who were suggesting other styles. This is one option available.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Its not my favorite thing either Tony, but its been requested for a couple years now. You know the deal.....we have to give everybody what they want in today's world. :D Being honest, these jigs have been heading to Alaska & Washington State for Halibut. A few tile guys who visit the shop had the idea for NJ.

BTW, here's a pic of the hook options for the guys who were suggesting other styles. This is one option available.
Kudos to the company who had that mold built...now halibut i can see
still wouldnt want to jig it all day but i can see it..
good luck with 'em tom..:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.