BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE 1994 37 Topaz Express... My buddy is serious about this boat it has 3208 / 375hp 1400hrs... one of the last of the original Topaz boats.

Anything info good or bad will be good. Going to sea trial it in a few weeks with surveyor.

PS: Current boat name Jacqueline
Ocean City Nj

· Registered
6,800 Posts
ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE 1994 37 Topaz Express... My buddy is serious about this boat it has 3208 / 375hp 1400hrs... one of the last of the original Topaz boats.

Anything info good or bad will be good. Going to sea trial it in a few weeks with surveyor.

Ocean City Nj
My first recommendation would be to have those engines surveyed by a certified Cat guy.

· Registered
30 Posts
Fished on one for a few years with that same set up. It was an '86. Chopped the window and got rid of all the glass. I have a pic at the house it was a real head turner in fighting lady yellow. Great ride, but slow. It was the "Dr. Hook" out of Caynon club for a wile then sold to a guy in bricktown who called it "Mickey's Boy" then sold a few years ago. I don't know were it is now. Great ride and a tough hull.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Get a survey

We used to have a 1988 37 foot express which we purchased in 1996. At the time, there was a 1992 on the market, but several people suggested that we should stay away from anything later than 1990. Apparently, Topaz went through several changes of ownership in the early 90's before going totally out of business and this resulted in numerous quality control problems. I think even OMC owned them for a while.

On the other hand, if the boat is now 16 years old, maybe someone already got all the bugs out. Just my 2 cents. Can't really speak from experience. The 1988 was a great, sturdy, well built boat and is still in charter service here in Cape May.

3208's with 1400 hours are nearing the point that they may require some service, depending on how the previous owner(s) took care of them. 24 kt cruise in smooth water, 20 kts when it's bumpy.

· Registered
382 Posts
Fished on one for a few years with that same set up. It was an '86. Chopped the window and got rid of all the glass. I have a pic at the house it was a real head turner in fighting lady yellow. Great ride, but slow. It was the "Dr. Hook" out of Caynon club for a wile then sold to a guy in bricktown who called it "Mickey's Boy" then sold a few years ago. I don't know were it is now. Great ride and a tough hull.
I used to fish the same boat when it was " mickeys boy". It was sold to someone local cause i still see it around. Nice riding boat, no speed demon but it was comfortable.

· Registered
2,099 Posts

Ocean City Nj
I fished on that model tope great fishing boat economical on fuel you wont win any races.I think that model has the balsa core deck .It has great lines looks like a fishun boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.