BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker....first time poster.

Currently run a 32 Proline Express 2005 w/ twin honda 225's. love the boat and have no complaints, but thinking about going up in size even though I've only had this boat for a year.

Was browsing online and saw a 1990 38 Phoenix w/ 671 ti's that have only 650 hrs. Price seemed very cheap at 65 k. Before probing further i figured i would see if anyone on here has first hand experience fishing this vessel. I know the 29 phoenix has maintained a great reputation over the years. Grew up fishing a 41 viking w/ the 671's and we loved them.

Look forward to now being a contributor. Was on ACfishing site but that has fizzled out it seems

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards
Chris Picciotti (chot55)
32 Proline Express "Reaper"

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Buyer's market!

Welcome to the barn! There seems to be a lot of great deals on the market but selling you may take a beating. I considered selling/trading my Harley for a CC but I'm not ready to give it away. What don't you like about the Proline? Fishing around the outboards or size?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Anytime you change boats you pretty much loose alot of money, but if your mind is made up then the 38 Phoenix is a nice boat, but it is alot of boat to maintain and alot of things can need updateing when in that age of a boat. Unless you really enjoy working on them or the boat has already been thru an extensive overhaul and I mean the whole boat not just the engines then be very carefull what your getting yourself into. It's going to eat alot of fuel as well, with all the great deals out there, you may want to check some others out first. There are quite a few boats from the 90's and 80's that have went thru extensive upgrades and been repowered, it's alot cheaper to buy one someone already did then doing it yourself. Ride wise the Phoenix will be very good, drifting, any Convertible will be rougher on the drift then a express. If you wrote up more details about how you fish, how much you use the boat, price range, etc. then plenty of the guys would be able to help steer you toward some more boats. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The 671 TI's aren't bad. The TIB's were more troublesome. Rebuilds aren't as cheap as they used to be but still very doable. The 38 is a good riding hull. If you like the 41 Viking you might want to throw that in the mix as well. You'll pay a bit more but it's a Viking and 41 feet. Do your due diligence any boat that age and you should be ok.

·
Registered
912 Posts
There are alot of boats to be had at that price range .go on yachtworld just search twin diesel boat to 100k.You would be surprised to see how much flexibility is in prices.As for the 671 they are great engines just tend to leak alot.you might be able to find something with yanmars or cummins for a little more $.good luck in the search

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I was just intrigued at the price tag. I do agree that it might end up being more of a hassle purchasing a boat that old

The 32 proline has been a good boat so far. The Honda's have great fuel economy and have yet to give me a single problem. And so darn quiet. OVerall the boat is a bit slow however. The ride is not as bad as some say and i have no complaints there. I opted for that size range b/c i can still actually take it out by myself for inshore stuff and cruising around with the ladies as well as even do some bay fluking in the deeper channels

I fish out of Absecon Inlet. Live in Brigantine. Grew up offshore fishing but my dad sold his 41 Viking when I was around 19 or so. Long hiatus from the offshore world as i'm now 31 yo but I've owned my own boats for 5 years or so fishing bass, fluke, inshore trolls. But now after only one season running my own boat to the edge and I'm stuck on the offshore game again. We had success on nearly every trip this season. If I didn't get tuna I at least found the mahi or the marlin

I'll probably keep this boat for another season or two and then try to get a trade in deal on a twin diesel 35 express or somewhere in that range. I agree....tough to not lose money selling a boat in this market. But like all of you....Im always looking.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I was just intrigued at the price tag. I do agree that it might end up being more of a hassle purchasing a boat that old

The 32 proline has been a good boat so far. The Honda's have great fuel economy and have yet to give me a single problem. And so darn quiet. OVerall the boat is a bit slow however. The ride is not as bad as some say and i have no complaints there. I opted for that size range b/c i can still actually take it out by myself for inshore stuff and cruising around with the ladies as well as even do some bay fluking in the deeper channels

I fish out of Absecon Inlet. Live in Brigantine. Grew up offshore fishing but my dad sold his 41 Viking when I was around 19 or so. Long hiatus from the offshore world as i'm now 31 yo but I've owned my own boats for 5 years or so fishing bass, fluke, inshore trolls. But now after only one season running my own boat to the edge and I'm stuck on the offshore game again. We had success on nearly every trip this season. If I didn't get tuna I at least found the mahi or the marlin

I'll probably keep this boat for another season or two and then try to get a trade in deal on a twin diesel 35 express or somewhere in that range. I agree....tough to not lose money selling a boat in this market. But like all of you....Im always looking.
Dont let the age of a boat scare you.I always buy older redone boats and have a good survey done.For me it works as i couldnt afford a new vessel of the same magnitude.Good luck captain.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Long time lurker....first time poster.

Currently run a 32 Proline Express 2005 w/ twin honda 225's. love the boat and have no complaints, but thinking about going up in size even though I've only had this boat for a year.

Was browsing online and saw a 1990 38 Phoenix w/ 671 ti's that have only 650 hrs. Price seemed very cheap at 65 k. Before probing further i figured i would see if anyone on here has first hand experience fishing this vessel. I know the 29 phoenix has maintained a great reputation over the years. Grew up fishing a 41 viking w/ the 671's and we loved them.

Look forward to now being a contributor. Was on ACfishing site but that has fizzled out it seems

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards
Chris Picciotti (chot55)
32 Proline Express "Reaper"
I have an older model 35 Bertram for sale with newer cats and TONS of undates..just food for thought

·
Registered
394 Posts
You should consider a Henriques 38. Owned one for 9 seasons and they are beasts. Now have a 35 H express for 13 seasons. Awesome boats.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nice boat, sat on C-Dock at Trumps behind my buddys boat for more than a couple of years,
Do not be afraid, Detroits ........good......
but reality is........
Do you want to own 2!
if not sell yours first.
Otherwise. we are all just wandering.
Had given the chance, and wanting a SF, would surely work.
Send me specs on your boat.
Have traffic, in my yard, due to High exposure, and NOT ENOUGH INVENTORY...
SELLING YOUR BOAT,
CALL ME....
THX Rich.
YES, I fish also>>>>>>>>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts