BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone on this forum have this engine or engines in their boat. Reports on efficiency , HP and Torque coupled with an outstanding HP/Weight ratio makes these engines something I may consider. They do come in various HP and I will assume that it must be based on the ECM and injector used along with camshaft installed. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
That's the new small block replacing the 350? If so does it have catalytic converters? I talked w a Crusader rep who warned me toNEVER buy one with them!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the new small block replacing the 350? If so does it have catalytic converters? I talked w a Crusader rep who warned me toNEVER buy one with them!
You can get them without a cat converter. Yes, they are what is replacing 350's and also because of their HP and Torque, they are also replacing old tired gas guzzling 454's. Did get a report that an acquaintance ran from the Cape May Bell Buoy to the Ocean City Maryland Buoy which is exactly 40 miles between them. He ran a single 383 on a Bravo 2 outdrive and burned 21 gallons of Fuel at Cruise. Christ,, an inboard V8 gas engine getting 2 MPG. Small 4 and 6 cylinders on an Alpha drive can get that, but this is really a something that is very tough to achieve with 8 cylinders putting out 330 to 360 HP.

The Crusader rep is right on. Run, don't even look back at a marine engine with a cat.. The biggest problem are the sensors getting contaminated and thus playing havoc with the ECM.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
You can get them without a cat converter. Yes, they are what is replacing 350's and also because of their HP and Torque, they are also replacing old tired gas guzzling 454's. Did get a report that an acquaintance ran from the Cape May Bell Buoy to the Ocean City Maryland Buoy which is exactly 40 miles between them. He ran a single 383 on a Bravo 2 outdrive and burned 21 gallons of Fuel at Cruise. Christ,, an inboard V8 gas engine getting 2 MPG. Small 4 and 6 cylinders on an Alpha drive can get that, but this is really a something that is very tough to achieve with 8 cylinders putting out 330 to 360 HP.

The Crusader rep is right on. Run, don't even look back at a marine engine with a cat.. The biggest problem are the sensors getting contaminated and thus playing havoc with the ECM.
yes it's just stroked 350 chevy block. in my opinion it should never have been used in marine service. the 350 with the vette heads putting out 325-375hp was much more reliable. I've surveyed more than 70-80 boats with these 383's in them. 4 different seatrials I've them come apart. 3 of them put rods thru the blocks and one a crankshaft broke and went thur the oil pan. all of these 4 engines had less than 700hrs on them. of course i cant attest to how these engines were treated before i saw them. but i've probably surveyed 2000 boats with 302-305-327-350 and 454 and never let rods or cranks loose on seatrials.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dunk, thank you for your input and your observations from surveying. I asked this questions since the design of most stoker motors come from using a standard block [in thus case a 350] and stroke the motor This means a longer throw with longer rods. Since the rods are longer the ends of the rods that have the rod bolts attached will hit the bottom of the block. To eliminate this someone has to grind the block for the rod end to clear. That is why I asked the question. Whoever is doing the grinding has to assure a perfect job. In a marine engine that is under constant load ,this could lead to failures. A hell of a Horsepower to Weight ratio, but with your input it seems to have its pitfalls .THANKS Dunk.

·
Registered
98 Posts
they also use different pistons with different wrist pin settings to get more cubic inches I'm talking chevy engines not the chrysler 383

1 - 6 of 6 Posts