BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out of LR today with the chief and we were on the hook by 9:15 am with Fresh Surf clams and 12 very fresh bunker. No takers on the bunker, 18 Bass on the clam, back at the dock by 3 pm. We had a few over 30, the Biggest was 33" most were slot size. Water temp ranged from 55 to 57 degrees. Better action early on during the flood. High tide was at 11 am. Wind was very light when it blew at all out of the NNE. Fished down by #1 but everyone was catching up and down the bay. Talked with Capt. Hersch on was just below us most of the day and doing well. Also seen and talked with Rottn Capt sporting that new Ride. He blazed by me doing about 70 mph :eek: Met quite few new members at the ramp who's barn handles escape me. If you guys are reading this, post up will ya :D . Shake down run went well except for I finally concluded my Radio is shot. I just replaced the antenna with a new galaxy so I know it is not that. I am also still working on that perfect setting for the transducer for the Raymarine. Boat ran great and topped out about 47 mph against the wind and tide on the way in for a brief stint. The bigums will be upon us soon.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Nice start Joe, are you sure your temp guage is working right, those temps seem awful warm?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim, I confirmed it with two other boats, right on the money. Remember the water is kind of muddy and dirty water heats up faster. We visted the Horseshoe during the slack and for the start of the ebb. We found cleaner water at only 54 degrees. Remeber we were fishing the flats, on average 16/17 feet. I spoke with silent-A who was at the bug who had 54.5. Capt Hersh had 55 degress. We watched a weed line come right down one us from up the bay and as the weed line passed we realized it was actually a temp break line, the difference was 5 degrees warmer on the other side of the line. We physically watched the temp guage rise. Really cool to see. We caught fish right on that line to.

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by finally:
Nice start Joe, are you sure your temp guage is working right, those temps seem awful warm?
Believe it or not, we had 60. something or another at the mouth of the Maurice. The Blue Bird skys are heating that thick, murky river water like a microwave

On our maiden voyage, we also thought our temp gauge was defective. Till we got confirmation from fellow BARNERS

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
What can I say Joe! You put us on the fish my friend and ya make it look easy ;) The weather was beautiful, the boat ran well and the fish cooperated. What more can a person ask for!

CaptHersh...it was nice to see you today. I hope to see a whole lot more of you in the upcoming weeks
BTW, what is the minimum size limit on Bloodworms these days
(an inside joke).

Rottn...It would have been nice to see you if only you would have slowed down to a speed where I could get a fix on ya ;) The new boat looks sweet my friend! I wish you the best of luck with her
Here's a pic I took while you and your crew were setting up on the hook. I'm no Rageboat but I did what I could ;)

[ 04-10-2005, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Ron Redington ]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Was good to meet the two of you on a successful day. I was the guy at the LR waiting for the docks to get in.... like a little kid the day before Christmas! It's killin' me !

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Rodfather - we must have just missed each other. We put in at 9:30am and left at 2:30pm. Not as many boats as I would have thought.

I too had some times of 55-56 degree water but for the most part it hovered around 51-52.

We caught 25 bass from 21" - 37". Three of us took 5 bass home (25,26,35,36,37). Couldn't find the last slot fish. The last two pieces of clam caught a 23" and 29"...oh well. One of the best overall days on the bay for me so far (new to it the last two years). Sunny, flat water, catching fish..no better.

We did miss probably more than we caught...even lost a couple/three at the boat (that shouldn't happen..getting the rust out).

Hope to go again soon.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Great meeting you Joe and Ron, BTW someone left a Dexter Russel stainless steel knife at the cleaning table Joe? Ron? I have it for safe keeping. If it belongs to either one of you I will leave it at the marina with your name on it on my next visit.
I concur on water temps, bait (fresh surf clams), depth, tides. The fish were just mouthing the baits very lightly you had to be on you?re toes.
My new Raymarine fishfinder is awesome. I was concerned about readings at higher speeds, but it performed flawlessly at 40 mph hats of to the installer
(a non advertiser on the BB). Final count 30+ strippers 1 skate 1 bloodworm. Largest fish 34?. A great first trip.

[ 04-11-2005, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: capthersch ]

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Great day out there Ron and Joe. I knew you'd find em.

Insanity and Capt Hersch- you guys got some pretty nice size fish- were you using fresh surf clams as well?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Joe,
Great day out,Glad everything went well with the shake down !!! I GOTTa tell ya...your reports are awesome and chock full of info...Thanks Bro.,Vinny

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
P'ship...fresh surf clams were the ticket. The guy fishing next to me had fresh bunker and caught his share too. The two of them had their above 34" limit. Had a hard time finding a slot though.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Nice job by all.
Hope to get on them tomorrow onboard the "Partnership". ;)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Great to see both of you guys on the water again. We ended up with 2 very shorts in the hour or so we fished (Thanks for the fresh clams and Bunka).

My co-captain Ben is sticking to his centerfielder excuse of the sun being in his eyes for the lack of catching my clam knife. Your clam knife is in good hands.

The boat ran great and fasssst. I fixed the GPS antenna connection and clocked Ben at 63MPH with some room to spare.

Did Joe mention his Trophy passed a 17ft. freshwater bass boat with a 225 Optimax on it? :D

Once again, great seeing both of you on the water again and thanks for posting the fine snapshot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.