BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After much weather delay got my list of "to do's" accomplished on the boat and let her splash for the season.

Got right at it the first chance the weather allowed, working some shallow mud flats and deeper sodbank cuts most of the week. Hot lures for the bass were DOA 4" jerkshads & 3" paddle tails.
Also decided to give a DOA popping float trailed by a 4" jerkshad a try with great success! This is something that is very popular down south yet up in the northeast hasnt caught on for whatever reason.:huh: I Was amazed at how it was able to call in fish that i wouldnt have even known were there had i just thrown a plastic and went without a touch. Its also very user friendly for the novice angler just cast pop on occasion and wait for the strike...
The bass have been fussy though but once you find where their schooled up usually you can pull quite a few fish out of it, as those ocean water temps are still down so spot to spot the water temperature can vary as much as 10 degrees, but this is changing by the day as the oceans temps are starting to finally teeter on that 50degree mark.
Also the tog bite has been on fire as we boated easily 50+ tog this week with only about 10 being undersized and the biggest going in the low 20" zone. Unfortunately the tog season closes on the 1st and remains closed to harvest till mid july.
All and all a fun action packed week full of happy clients and friends, some of which were able to catch their first ever striped bass & tog. :thumbsup:

Still have some dates available for upcoming backwater striped bass trips, flounder once it opens May 23rd and some dates free for ocean run striped bass out of barnegat....
give me a call or email to book.
[email protected]
856-371-4346

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DOA 1/16oz short shank jig head and an arms length of leader to the float. could go heavier if you wanted gotta keep some weight on it IMO otherwise it just stays up top. Using this i feel will be the equalizer on those summer bass that tend to short hit a topwater plug not wanting to commit to the topwater, but the topwater was essential in getting his attention... he sees the plastic trailing and goes for it.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they just started making them as a combo with the airhead soft plastic. i ususually fish with a jerk shad but once the larger baitfish move back there the airhead will be the ticket....

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
After much weather delay got my list of "to do's" accomplished on the boat and let her splash for the season.

Got right at it the first chance the weather allowed, working some shallow mud flats and deeper sodbank cuts most of the week. Hot lures for the bass were DOA 4" jerkshads & 3" paddle tails.
Also decided to give a DOA popping float trailed by a 4" jerkshad a try with great success! This is something that is very popular down south yet up in the northeast hasnt caught on for whatever reason.:huh: I Was amazed at how it was able to call in fish that i wouldnt have even known were there had i just thrown a plastic and went without a touch. Its also very user friendly for the novice angler just cast pop on occasion and wait for the strike...
The bass have been fussy though but once you find where their schooled up usually you can pull quite a few fish out of it, as those ocean water temps are still down so spot to spot the water temperature can vary as much as 10 degrees, but this is changing by the day as the oceans temps are starting to finally teeter on that 50degree mark.
Also the tog bite has been on fire as we boated easily 50+ tog this week with only about 10 being undersized and the biggest going in the low 20" zone. Unfortunately the tog season closes on the 1st and remains closed to harvest till mid july.
All and all a fun action packed week full of happy clients and friends, some of which were able to catch their first ever striped bass & tog. :thumbsup:

Still have some dates available for upcoming backwater striped bass trips, flounder once it opens May 23rd and some dates free for ocean run striped bass out of barnegat....
give me a call or email to book.
[email protected]
856-371-4346

Popping corks are very effective when you miss on a popper or spook bait. I always toss one after I miss a blow up, sometimes its the only way to get the fish to commit to the bait. I do use the same color patters as the top water bait as well as if the bass stunned the bait the first time around now the lure is just floating just under the surface. I learned and have been using several techniques up here that I learned fishing redfish in NC. Bass feed the same way and all the techniques are effective. Terminator spinnerbaits are awesome too, the more blades the better IE: kvd scorcher. and 1 single wide gap hoop too, no trebels to mess with...power fishing!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
BDubbs on fire! They love those popping corks down in Florida, but I haven't had much luck with them. Might have to give them a shot by the sod banks. Hoping to get out on the yak this weekend, we'll see....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts