BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raritan Bay, NJ report. Friday, trying to get bait was uneventful. No fresh bunker and no clams. As a clammer said, "why do people want bait, they can't fish Saturday."

We didn't take the warning. Met with Artie(the Real Clamman) and Bobby "fillet" bright an early. Artie got the call we needed. Bunker way in the back. Headed to the bunker and snagged all we wanted. You could have walked on the bunker.

We anchored a good clip east of the driscol bridge. 55 degrees and about 33 ft of water. We had action right away. Artie got us going first with a 35 inch, then I followed with my biggest of the year so far, a fat 38", that went 25.5#'s. Bobby sooned followed with a 31". No chum in the water, only heads and still had a "blues issue".

We had little time to fish the tide and soon had wind against, so we went looking further east, up(down?) the Reach. Got a couple of marks and decided to start clamming east of the fleet that had built up. No hits so I asked the guys, "mind if I try a head"?. The both said no, and in 2 minutes, my reel was screaming. Landed a nice 33". Artie and Bob switched over to heads and they quickly landed a 35 and 33. Then, the blues found us again.

Final total for the day -- 6 bass.
1 31" 15 lbs
2 33" 17 lbs
2 35" 20 lbs
1 38" 25.5 lbs

Not a murdering day but all fish were very nice. 2 Kept for table fare. Pictures to follow.

(finally got the pics in)

Me and my son. 1 of 2 fish kept.

Clamman's fish that found it's way to the table.

My biggest so far this year.

Clamman with another nice one.

[ 05-05-2006, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Dar-Lynn ]

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I am going to start off by saying the Capt's that help us we help them.

When Tony called me late Friday afternoon and told me his bait source had no fresh bunker we went to plan b.Plan b was a no go I had a hard time sleeping the night before twisting & turning.I Woke up at 2 am and never fell back to sleep.Jumped into the shower and jumped on the GSP.1st stop Jullians.I asked Jimmy if he had fresh bunker and Jimmy said all I have is 1 piece :mad: Took the ride to the Atlantic Highlands and Pete was just opening up his shop.I asked Pete do you have fresh bunker and he said yes.Out comes the cooler and I did not like the way the Bait looked so I walked out :mad:

No sooner did I walk out of the store my cell phone rings & it's my buddy Capt Chris Bucta. Art Good morning if you need fresh go to so & so
Well all I have to say is Capt Chris Bucta I owe you big time ;)

I called sleepy Tony and left him a voice mail to bring his cast net and he never checked his voice mail and he did not bring the cast net :eek:

Well the 1st part of the morning was abit tough.

Once we got to where we needed to go the Mother load of bunker was all around us and it turned out to be a great day.

Tony congrats on your personal best aboard the Dar-lynn & a big thanks for taking myself & Bobby Fillet out !

[ 05-01-2006, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: The real Clamman ]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tony nice job!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by capt. ed:
sure. call me when we can get on some Tiderunners, like any day now?
I normally don't target them while the bass are around. I'll be live lining the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Cheapshot. Thing broke wide open yesterday. Some really nice fish caught by Capt. Chris Gatley and Capt. Freddy Gamboa.

I fish with both of these guys in 2 weeks

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Originally posted by Dar-Lynn:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
Thing broke wide open yesterday. Some really nice fish caught by Capt. Chris Gatley and Capt. Freddy Gamboa.

I fish with both of these guys in 2 weeks
. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]I can't wait :cool:

Art

[ 05-05-2006, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: The real Clamman ]

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Sorry double post ;)

[ 05-05-2006, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: The real Clamman ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts