BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another great day with my son. Once each spring, I let him pick a day to play hooky and spend a day with me fishing. Today we started with trout and ended up fishing for bass and pickerel.

The day started off with a bang at 4 AM, when he hooked up with a good brookie on his first cast. Those glow-in-the-dark bobbers really do work!

We slayed brook trout until 8 AM and then switched over to bass and pickerel. The bass fishing seemed a little slow, but that might have been due to the fact that the early-morning trout bite was so good. We caught bass, pickerel, crappie, and perch at just about every stop.

Frankie ended the day with a giant yellow perch. We're both going to remember this one for a while. You can never get enough of the days like this! :)

First cast!

Two minutes later

Doubles

Good morning of fishing

Monster Perch

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's awesome . I'm glad you and your son had a great day and caught some nice fish. That yellow perch is really nice,you wouldn't happen to know how much it weighed because the NJ State record for Yellow Perch is only 2lbs 6oz set back in 1989.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Whoa that perch!! :eek:

·
Registered
210 Posts
excellent job looks like you guys had fun, by any chance what city is that it or is it only your secret spot, i understand y you wouldnt want to tell me i only usually trout fish in pa but a few years ago my dad use to take me to birch groove park and now im 14 and i went there starting last year but no fish(trout):confused:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

That perch was a monster, but it didn't have the girth to be any kind of record. It taped out at 15.5-inches and I'm guessing it weighed between a pound-and-a-half and a pound-and-three-quarters. It actually jumped and did a head shake on the way in, I thought he had another little bass. Maybe it will be a record next season. :)

Most of the places we fish are ten to fifteen minutes from our house in Monroeville.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Frank-what were the trout hitting there?im doing the construction over there.thinking about coming in early a day or two and wet a line b4 work.
Karl

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Great Pics & Report,your What Good Dads Are Made Of !

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dirtydigger88 said:
Frank-what were the trout hitting there?im doing the construction over there.thinking about coming in early a day or two and wet a line b4 work.
Karl
Hey Karl,

Mealworms worked great until we ran out of them. I had 48 mealies and they went quick! Frankie caught a bunch of fish on Powerbait and I caught my share on small jigs and spinners; they definitely weren't picky.

We should have some rainbows swimming around there soon! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts