BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I am in the process of setting up a 4 day charter fishing NE Georges this summer. The group is maninly comprised of folks I've fished with over the years from the Barn. Currently we have a few spots open so I thought I throw it up here to see if there was any interest.

What will be doing is a 4 day trip to NE Georges mainly for groundfish, cod, haddock, pollack. Its a full two days fishing with a 16 hr steam to and from the grounds which are situated about 180 nm from the dock. Last year on the trips the boat ran, there were also bluefin to the 500lb class around that we will try to target. There is also the possiblity that we can lay overnight for tuna/swords as we will be very near where some of the longline fleet works during the summer. I have yet to work that out with Capt Jim. Limits of groundfish will be a 4 day limit...ie..40 cod, at least 36 haddock unless the NE groundfish council undoes the new haddock regs, which I heard is a very good possibility and unlimited pollack. They do alot of the cod jigging in 200ft of water with jigs anywhere from 12 to 24 oz depending on the current or if its a drift or anchor.

The trip is limited to 20 guys...right now I have 17 committed to the trip. The date will be the last week of July or first week of August. Given the lenght offshore we'll be looking 4 a four day window during the week Capt Jim and I agree to.

The boat is the American Classic out of Lynn Mass. Its 100ft, has bunks for all on the trip, full galley.

Cost is 450 a man plus tip for the mate. What I'll be doing once I get 20 confirmed is taking a deposit from everyone to send to hold the boat/date. The remainder would be due to me at the begining of June.

If your interested in this trip, please contact me at [email protected]

Phil L

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Phil,
would love to go on this, - check your mail. My kind of trip,
I like the idea of Targeting Swords, plenty of other denizens of the deep around at night. I guess I have to bring a case of 5 hour energy!

Captn Joe

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
When I fished 4 days Georges trip on the Walsh's, yft were busting around, but we didn't chase them. The area you fish is close to edge and it is good idea to target swordfish and tuna at night.
The wreck we fished were loaded with cod. If you want to enjoy cod jigging, you'll not be disappointed though most are market size.

It is an adventure as well as vacation trip where very few party boat except the Walsh's ever fished. Capt Jimmy and mates are great and I always enjoyed fishing on the boat.

---------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
If they need a booster to reach the rail do they count as a full fair? :D

Looking forward to the trip Phil, you can never have enough Cod, haddock and pollack fillets for the freezer. I'm hoping to catch a wolffish, I know you can't keep it but I've never caught one.

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
If you have a last minute cancellation list

Put me on it-timing seems ok today but cant commit until closer to the date.

Sounds like a great trip with some questionable participants:D

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Kil...thanks for the info...once we get our 20...I'll be sure to have some indepth discussion with Capt. Jim about some things like targeting pelagics, whiting, rosies, etc.

Spooled...I'll put you on a standby list...if you could do me a favor and shoot your email to me at [email protected] I have a running update going via email to all interested.

We're up to 18....if your thinking about doing this, please by all means contact me...Codfish regs in 2013 for the Gulf of Maine and potentially South and East of the Cape might be zero. There is talk about a total closure after this year. Georges Bank asessment is the next thing up for NE groundfish council.

Like Kil said, its like a fishing vacation in an area that very few recreationals ever fish.

Phil L

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Hi Kil,
Capt Jim, is certainly one of the very best skippers I have ever fished with. He knows how to use that Sonar for sure! I owe you a big thnak you for all of those great trips aboard the American Classic.

From what you said -sounds like some good fishing at night can be had there as well.

Catching Whiting again, after not seing one for over 25 years, would be nice, just too bad they are not here in Cape May at McRie Shoal like they were in the 70's. ( We would target Mackerel, and they were a nuisance fish) I love to eat smoked Whiting, I still buy them all the time at the Lobster House.

Almost as good as Korean Food!:thumbsup:

Captn Joe

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Looking forward to this. I wouldn't mind catching a few whiting either,smoked whiting is some great stuff. Looks like an all-star cast is in the making :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Phil,

Email sent; please add one soul. Have always wanted to jig the Georges. Note, August 2nd the moon is full....that weekend before the 2nd the swordies should be chewin ;). Not sure if moon / tide impact the groundfishing as much.

Tight Lines,

Frank
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Updated 2/23...The trip is full...it will be the week of July 21st thru July 29th...4 days during that week.

I would like to get a few guys on a standby list in case of an issue as we get closer....I do have one but wouldnt mind a few more.

If you are interested in the trip, email me and I can put you on standby and add you to the running email I have going.

Phil L
[email protected]

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Have a great time guys, Catch em up.... can't wait to read the reports/see pics!

:):thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts