BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
I kinda wonder where "Stone Harbor Point" is at the current time. Back in the 70's I think it was a little further South than now. Used to be a really good spot that we were able to keep Walter Hendee away from for quite awhile. He finally realized where we were going. Walter RIP.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was fishing the point with my father and brother all using flyrods. We did real well cathing blues, shad, flounder, and bass. Fishing was consistant until the weed and wind go to heavy. We are out there pretty much every weekend. We have a house on 120th street so it is just a short walk to fish.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'll try to keep an eye out for you. I am on 114th, and usually fish from a boat, but if other people will be flyfishing at the point I may run down from time to time.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Pete W, Welcome to the Barn and sounds like you had good fishing. What you described as shad are probably the large sea herring. They run from 15 to 18 inches on average and do some jumping, fun to catch on fly rod.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thats what they were. Force of habit calling them shad. When I started cathing them a few years ago I thouhgt they were American Shad. Been calling them shad ever since. I swear some of the ones we caught had to go over two pounds!

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Pete Welcome & I look forward to your posts.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's one of my sp?ts too. Worth, the trip up from the Crest. Green Explorer, DE tags my names Pete too

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pete,
That must have been you. they guys I saw walked the "back" way toward 122nd when they left. I think I actually met you a couple of years ago while you were fly fishing. I'm on 117th. We should meet up sometime.
Take care.
brent

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Pete, Sometimes there will be hickory shad mixed in and every once in a while usually very eary in the season a true shad will turn up. They are all fun to catch on the fly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fly fish, I think I have met you before. I will be out there again this weekend. Between my father, my three brothers, and my self we pretty much always have someone fishing the point. We like to fish more towards the free bridge. That way we can see if each other from our deck. We often bring hand held radios to give updated reports back to "home base". See you out there.

Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts