BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, i have been a diesel guy for the past 20 years. That may be changing, i may be going twin 4 stroke. My question to you outboard guys is how do the 4-strokes slow troll?? my diesels barely move the boat at trolling speed which is great. the slower the better. Also, does slow trolling foul the engine performance at all??? How about fuel economy??? I could troll forever with the diesels, while barely using any fuel at all. Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
4 strokes for trolling

I have a 25 foot CC with a Yamaha 225 4 stroke on the back. I have used my boat extensively for trolling for hours on end. Never had a problem with fouling, overheating or any other such condition. Can't quote fuel consumption but I can tell you it is minimal. No complaints and very very quiet with no smoke.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Twin Yamaha 250's here. No problem with trolling slow, and unlike some who alternate their motors while trolling, I always troll with both. I burn about 3 gallons per hour (1.5/engine) while trolling. Unlike a 2 stroke they don't smoke or load up from hours of trolling. Carbon build up is a concern, but use Ring Free or something similar regularly, and per my Yami Tech always run them "flat out" for several minutes when returning from a day of trolling to help blow them out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
cobraarvey said:
Unlike a 2 stroke they don't smoke or load up from hours of trolling.
Just to be clear, not the new DFI's.. I slow troll constantly with my boat (90% of its hours probably). no load up or smoke in nearly 400 hours. Plugs every other year. They burn less than a 4 stroke too at idle. DFI's like the Opti and Etec stratifiy the fuel allowing them to burn less than an efi 4 stroke. I burn 0.3-0.5gph trolling for bass according to the smartcraft guages which are dead on at fill up time. It will also hold 580rpms for days. The fourstrokes do troll a lot quieter though!

I agree that one should run a decarb like ringfree or quickleen in their outboards and make sure they are propped appropriately to turn near the max recommended rpm with regular load.

Good luck.

BTW, i trolled just outside of annapolis yesterday and landed a 36", 38" and a fat roe laden 40" cow. All were released Green!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I troll with twin 250 Etecs. At 7 knots I burn 1.2 gph per engine, so thats somwhere around 3 mgp if my math is correct

I think if I slow troll. I can troll around 1 to 2 knots and get like 7 mpg. Like 7 hours of trolling on agallon of gas

·
Registered
88 Posts
I troll with a single Yamaha 250 4-stroke on 23 Jones Brothers. ....slow as you want. I can actually troll slower with the 250 than I could with my 60 hp Merc that I had before this boat.

MSax

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys

Since I have not had an outboard in along time, this is good stuff. Sounds like striper trolling with 4 -strokes in no problem. That is good news.
DonC. I am not sure yet, still trying to get my ducks in a row. The used boat market is dead and I have had a lot of lookers, but no real deals on the Topaz. I may be going the trade-in route. i have talked to a few dealers this past week. Most do not want my boat on trade, they say it is to big, but there may be one or 2 that i can work with. The next few weeks will be interesting. hope all is well, maybe we can fish together this year.
Cobra Harvey, love that southport. I wish I could find a southport dealer to take my topaz as trade.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You know our boat Mike and we have no problem, if you want to come out with us we will be in the water in probably 2 weeks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Mike'
I see your trying to sell your boat. Give Bob @ Anglers Edge Marine a call. (570 832-4362) He's a bass barn advertiser that offers a service for $199.00 he puts your boat with pictures all over the INTERNET. I was trying to sell my 1999 Mako 233 and couldn't get anybody interested. I used Bob service and sold my boat in 4 weeks to a fisherman from Texas. In fact he's picking the boat up today. For all the info. you can go to www.anglersedgemarine.com or better yet give Bob a call he's a great guy to work with I had him change pictures and descriptions on the ad's and he made the changes that day. It was the best $200.00 I ever spent. By the way I got a real good price for my Mako.:)
Larry

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Thanks JEff. I will be in the water with something soon as well.
Thanks Larry. i do have my boat listed with Angler's Edge and have recieved a few calls.

·
Registered
315 Posts
cobraarvey said:
Unlike a 2 stroke they don't smoke or load up from hours of trolling.
Can you tell me exactly what "load up" means? I'm a novice boater with a merc 90 2 stroke. and i am starting to slow troll and power drift. I wanted to get an electric motor but the cash wasn't there; maybe next year.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Unburnt oil and fuel will build up in the motor if you troll alot in older 2 strokes. After a day of trolling run it WOT to get the carbon out of the motor.

Don C

1 - 14 of 14 Posts