BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a news report that said the offshore wave heights would be 40ft. I'm not an offshore type boater but will this storm really have wave heights of that size?:eek:

How do tankers and large commercial shipping handle this? Do they avoid the area or just plow on through it???

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
A couple of years ago I was fishing on the NYSELY Done out of Brielle. One of the other fishermen used to be a tugboat captain who hauled barges down from NYC to New Orleans. i asked him about the biggest waves that he was ever in.

He said one time they were off the NC coast and he had his windows (about 60 feet above the water) get blown out. See below picture.

Scarey stuff.:eek:

Peter

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Some flight decks are 100' above the water line. There is a video on you-tube of waves breaking over the bow of a carrier..it may be the C-53 or something like that...you should be able to find it..the video is shot from the bridge and the spray is covering the windows...

·
Registered
973 Posts
You want to read about big waves - read Halsey's Typhoon about a typhoon that struck the US Pacific Fleet in the Phillipine Sea. They had sustained winds of 125-150 Knots and seas at 90 feet with much bigger ones thrown in. The wind blew so hard the salt spray peeled the paint off the boats superstructures. Three destroyers were sunk and nearly all of the fleet including carriers sustained severe damage. Over 800 personnel were lost. Just goes to show you that Mother Nature can hand out an ***-whupping when she wants to.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
That is the video I was thining of...the other one with the smaller navy ship reminds me of a celebrity cruise that i took to bermuda a few years ago crossing the gulf stream...I would really like to know what that multi-million dollar piece of equipment it sitting up on the bow in those conditions?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Saw a news report that said the offshore wave heights would be 40ft. I'm not an offshore type boater but will this storm really have wave heights of that size?:eek:

How do tankers and large commercial shipping handle this? Do they avoid the area or just plow on through it???
they just adjust speed and course :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I thought it looked like a chopper.... I was wondering how long it took to get the salt out of that thing. :eek:
Chopper is possibly:
SH-60 LAMPS MK III Seahawk

The Seahawk is a twin-engine helicopter. It is used for anti-submarine warfare, search and rescue, drug interdiction, anti-ship warfare, cargo lift, and special operations. The Navy's SH-60B Seahawk is an airborne platform based aboard cruisers, destroyers, and frigates and deploys sonobouys (sonic detectors) and torpedoes in an anti-submarine role. They also extend the range of the ship's radar capabilities.
The U.S. Navy plans to convert all SH-60Bs, as well as 18 SH-60Fs, to multi-mission SH-60Rs. The new version will feature advanced radar, missiles, low frequency sonar and a host of other improvements. The UH-60 Black Hawk was fielded by the Army in 1979. The Navy received the SH-60B Seahawk in 1983 and the SH-60F in 1988. The Air Force received the MH-60G Pave Hawk in 1982 while the Coast Guard received the HH-60J Jayhawk in 1992. Some versions, such as the Air Force's MH-60 G Pave Hawk and the Coast Guard's HH-60J Jayhawk, are equipped with a rescue hoist with a 250 foot (75 meter) cable that has a 600 pound (270 kg) lift capability, and a retractable in-flight refueling probe. The Army's UH-60L Black Hawk can carry 11 soldiers or 2,600 pounds (1,170 kg) of cargo or sling load 9,000 pounds (4,050 kg) of cargo.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Been in 60 footers on a USCG icebreaker on the way to Alaska from Seattle. Had 7 straight days of gale force winds or higher.

It's not the height that's dangerous it's the steepness....height/period is what you watch for...

·
Registered
205 Posts
waves

Was on a LPH the "Guadalcanal", (about 780' long, half length of a carrier, LPH carries helicopters) in 1976, trip was from VA to Cuba/Virgin Islands area- had waves breaking over the bow for 3 days- ship actually shuddered as it pushed through waves. Unreal to see seas that large

·
Registered
717 Posts
You want to read about big waves - read Halsey's Typhoon about a typhoon that struck the US Pacific Fleet in the Phillipine Sea. They had sustained winds of 125-150 Knots and seas at 90 feet with much bigger ones thrown in. The wind blew so hard the salt spray peeled the paint off the boats superstructures. Three destroyers were sunk and nearly all of the fleet including carriers sustained severe damage. Over 800 personnel were lost. Just goes to show you that Mother Nature can hand out an ***-whupping when she wants to.

My mother’s brother (who I was named after) was lost on that day. He was on one of the Carriers (not sure witch one) when an Officer (on deck) was knocked down and swept across the deck. My (would be uncle) went out on deck to rescue him. The next wave took both of them (and many others) to their death…

·
Registered
827 Posts
View attachment 25260
My mother’s brother (who I was named after) was lost on that day. He was on one of the Carriers (not sure witch one) when an Officer (on deck) was knocked down and swept across the deck. My (would be uncle) went out on deck to rescue him. The next wave took both of them (and many others) to their death…
View attachment 25260

My Uncle was in that same storm aboard the USS ASTORIA CL 90 Cleveland class light cruiser. At age 17 he was tossed into a bulk head and lost his front teeth. Same night a USMC Captain was washed over and lost at sea.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.