BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1986 40HP evinrude Help!!?!?!

Ok i tried to drop the lower unit to replace the water pump and doing so i removed all bolts,The lower unit did come down about a inch and thats it..anyone know where the pin is on this thing to remove either the shifter or the throttle because one of them is still holdin the lower unit in place??any help is appreciated

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
If it's a long shaft, there should be a square access plate, on the port side of the exhaust housing. Remove the plate, and losen or remove the the lower screw in the rod clamp, (shift shaft).
If it's a short shaft, or doesn't have the access plate, there should be a threaded pin, near the base of the block.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Im not at the shop right now but I am almost sure the 1986 40 hp has the shift pin that slides. I will check Fri to make sure. If you want to try and look right away you can go to our web site and click on the Parts link and go the the electronic part page. From there you will choose the year and the hp along with a model number if you know it. You will find the shift shaft itmes on the cylinder and crankcase link.

Where the shift cable hooks up is a plastic arm that runs to a stainless rod that runs under the powerhead by the carbs. There is a half pin you pull out and push in on the stainless rod. This will unhook the shift rod going down to the gearcase. To install it back you pull on the rod to slide the pin back thru the shaft and install the half pin.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Definitley get a service manual before ever trying to do anything even semi major like dropping a lower unit. Most do a pretty good job expaining the most common fixes.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Has the pin that slide under the carb. Have to take I believe the 3/8 head bolt all the way out To remove the clamp. Have had a couple of those forties.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts