BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Corson's inlet yesterday morning for some flounder fishing and tog fishing.

Day started off great, we put an 18" flounder in the box on the first drift. That was it for flounder for the rest of the day.

We drifted almost every part of Ludlam Bay but no luck.

Ran down to Townsend's inlet to try the bridge pilings for tog.... No luck

ran up to Corson's to do the same thing.... No luck.

Tide started out so we came back to sea isle bridge and drifted that area. We picked up 15 blues from 1-3lbs each.

Finally, Tide went out enough for us to jump over board and get our limit of clams.

Total for the day
1 Flounder
15 blues
300 clams

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sounds like our game plan for next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday which will be a mini vacation for me. Its been a late year for me and getting my feet in the mud for some clams. Can't wait.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Yep, Thanks For That Report Jason,,,

Sounds Like Plenty of Steamer's and White Clam
Sause over Pasta For Everyone....

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JerseyJoe,
The water is still alot cold for treading. Hope you have a dry suit :D Raking clams is the way to go. I still have a couple of rakes left for sale in the barnsale forum

Nothing beats clams from cold water. In the winter time, the clams will last in the fridge for almost 8 weeks.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Jason I got waders after thinking we were going to go out last week. Can you shoot me an email with some pointers on clamming from the sand bars and such with the rake? I hope to try for a few clams tomorrow before heading in.

Thanks!

I also heard from somewhere that everyone on the boat has to have a clamming license, whether they are clamming or not, is this true?

[ 05-12-2005, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: BottomBouncer ]

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yea I have a suit and a couple of different rakes. Those rakes that your selling do look like they are perfect for raking. I might have to break down and as my buddy says"get off my pile" and buy one. How was the clamming? Some years it seems easier to get them then other years.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe,
Some clam bars tend to last a life time while others get clammed out quickly. The one bar that I have been clamming for about 5 years is nothing but top necks. It is truly great. it is also one of the most visible clam bars in the strathmere area but for some reason the clams are there ever year.

BB,
I just sent you an email

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BB,
As for the license, Double check it, but I know you can not have commercial and rec licenses in the same boat but if you have 5 people in the boat and only one rec license you can only have 150 clams.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the regs for clamming (as stated in the fish and game digest)

Hard Clams
1. No person shall harvest more than 150
clams per day unless such person is a holder of
a commercial clam license. Only certified
shellfish dealers may purchase clams from
commercial harvesters. All persons selling
clams commercially must tag each container
listing date of harvest, name and address of the
harvester and the waters from which the
shellfish were harvested.
2. A non-resident recreational license is valid
only during the months of June, July, August
and September.
3. Anyone engaged in any clamming activity with someone holding a commercial clam license
must also possess their own commercial
clam license.
4. It is illegal to dredge hard clams. Hand
implements are the only legal harvest methods.
5. The minimum size of hard clams that may
be harvested is 1-1/2 inches in length. Clams
less than 1-1/2 inches in length must be
immediately returned to the bottom from which
they were taken.
6. It is illegal to harvest shellfish on Sunday
except on the seasonal waters of the Navesink
and Shrewbury Rivers between November 1
and April 30

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.