BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to fish the outgoing. We needed to wait for an old friend who took the 1st ferry from DE. So we got a late start.

Got some fresh bunker/Clam from OTH and some needed information. I knew where I needed to go, but I decided to made a hard right out of the canal and head N, but only about 15 miles. I was hoping that the bite was moving out.

Anyhow our first stop was close to shore near the EP, 17-19 ft. We set up there for the last hour of the incoming. Nothing, not a tap. (Heading up the bay I stopped at the Punk grounds and that general area where years ago in the spring I killed 'em. There were a couple boats around. I checked the area and didn't see anything on the sounder, looked like a stagnate lake. I also checked some other spots I've caught in the past. No boats and no signs of life in the lower.) At the start of the outgoing I moved out towards the channel and found ourselves in 30+ ft of water. A couple spiny dogs and no signs of bass.

After that I headed to the lower to an area close to shore where I caught in the past in the spring. Nothing!

Wrapped it up about 5 with nothing. Lower = Dead Sea IMO! We needed to catch the derby. Put 60 miles looking around the bay with nothing to show.

I should of went further!

Not many boats anywhere! Even the docks seem empty.:huh:

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
I was going to head to EP but went out to channel. That's true not many boats out or at the dock. Thanks for sharing your trip.

·
Registered
20,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You shouldn't have went further. Trust me. Nothing happened up there yesterday, like it did thursday. 1 fish &I only one other fish that I heard of. We had [email protected]".
Thanks, I feel better.:thumbsup:

I was going to head to EP but went out to channel. That's true not many boats out or at the dock. Thanks for sharing your trip.
I saw only one boat near the EP. I marked nothing, but was hoping the bass would be and that bottleneck in the bay.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks for the report. Me too but fish the morning incoming. Punk Grounds, then Bug Light, then Pierce's Point. Basically, nothing. Even catching a couple of dogs at Bug Light was more entertaining than the rest of the day.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I went straight out and around from Fortesque and not a bite 14 ft to 24 tried. Saw very small stuff on the lowrance once and no bites even there. Only one horshoe crab.
Wanted to check things after some wiring changes. Had water on the dash but top was dry. Figured out the speedometer tube had popped off. Hopefuly all the bugs are out now!

Saw one boat oout. Watched the Salt Talk getting new paint for the season as I went by.

Got inspected by the Coast Guard and passed. I noted at least you picked a good day - nothing biting.

·
Registered
25,689 Posts
Good report!

Strangely I blame Obama for your lack of catching.:D

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Appreciate your report Tom. I buzz around and listen to the scuttle-butt, hearsay, rumors and they all indicate one thing---the bay just hasn't been producing a decent striper catch. The only sort-of-decent catch has been above Ship John and that is not really bay area. Another factor is the dirty water, that tends to inhibit a striper's appetite. When the water clears up and spawn is over, then maybe, just maybe, the bay's striper catch will improve.:huh:

·
Registered
20,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate your report Tom. I buzz around and listen to the scuttle-butt, hearsay, rumors and they all indicate one thing---the bay just hasn't been producing a decent striper catch. The only sort-of-decent catch has been above Ship John and that is not really bay area. Another factor is the dirty water, that tends to inhibit a striper's appetite. When the water clears up and spawn is over, then maybe, just maybe, the bay's striper catch will improve.:huh:
The lower bay sure isn't what it was 5 years ago. Dirty water from the rain no doubt was a factor.

But with the dredging, I blame that a lot, after the spring striper run I've been going out to the ocean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts