BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought some 50 lb pp. Was looking for 30, but didn't find any. I used 30 for the past few years and it cast great from my 8' surf plugging rod. I was wondering how much different the 50 will be, and is it too stiff to use for plugging? I know it is a 12lb diameter, but thought I'd ask anyway before I spool my VS.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
If it's simply plugging the surf you're into, I'd hold out for 30 if that's an option. Chances are the 30 will cast better / farther. It will also give you more line on your reel which may come in handy when ya latch into "The Big One"

Save the 50 for your chunking outfit

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
wal mart in berlin has plenty just bought some

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I use 50 for the surf all the time and love it. I cast 4-6 ounces and get well out there

Funny as it is I tried the 30 this weekend, it was OK, but did not hold the 6 ounce sinker well at all.

If you are gonna use it, make sure your surf rod is as stiff as can be

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Have to go with the DR.I fish with meat and love the 50,if pluggin I would stay 30 or under.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good points. I really should have as much line on my reel as possible so when I catch that 50# she doesn't spool me!!

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Guys,

Unless I'm not reading something right...Fly-Fish is interested in difference between 50 & 30 for plugging, not bait fishing.

I used 30 for the past few years and it cast great from my 8' surf plugging rod. I was wondering how much different the 50 will be, and is it too stiff to use for plugging?
Tossing baits another animal all together

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see someone is paying attention!!!
Thanks Ron.
I might just use the 50 on my bait rod and buy some 30 next time I see it.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Folks!
Checkout this site www.bluemarlinchronicles.com
Phone # 954 943 0996 Louis is his name, he lives in Pompano Bach Fl. He sells a fishing line called Jery Brown Spectra it is very similar to Power-Pro but it is cheaper, and get this, it is 100% UV resistant. He also sells alot of other tackle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fly Fish
I would definitly go with the 30lb for plugging, I got a 9 ft Tica last year and spooled an okuma reel with 30lb PP and its much more suited to plugging that my other setup which is a 10 ft pole with 50lb PP. (That I use to throw bait and lead up to 6oz safely without a shock leader)

The 30lb casts noticably further with plugs, poppers and jigs in the 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz range than the 50 lb PP.
Good Luck
Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts