BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Atlantic Star out of Wildwood, NJ made a special long range seabass trip yesterday as scheduled and they hit honey holes.
At the end of trip, they had about 50 tile fish upto 18 lbs and many guys had seabass limit.
Amazing thing is most tile fish were caught on jigs though some were caught on baits as many guys used jigs on the trip.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Kil,

thanks for report,

Philly,
Capt Jimmy has been fishing these waters for a very long time, he also does not settle on staus quo. He works very hard - identifying new places to fish in order to filll his fares coolers with what he is chasing out there.

Its no surprise to me they had this outstanding trip,

Captn Joe

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
igoblues said:
Kil,
Thanks for the update.
That great.
How many feet of water were they fishing?
350 ft.
But I don't think they go that far on normal open trips.

543 Posts
The tiles were bluelines and they hit better on squid, which is probably why the squid tipped jigs were so successful. There was even a triple header of tiles by some one using squid on a bait rig. Basically, bring squid if you intend to load up on them.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
KSONG - great post and great pics! Your threads are always informative and interesting.

You can keep those nasty Bluelines; I'll take a Golden Tile over a Blueline anyday. :D What type of jig were you using? We have to go so deep for the GT's down here that we rarely manually jig for them. It's almost always a three-hook chicken rig with 18 lbs of lead on a beefy electric reel like an ElectraMate 940XP or a Kristal 621 or Kristal 651.

The Kristal 651 may seem like overkill but it does multiple duty; tilefish, deepdrop for daytime swords in 1000+ feet, deepdrop over on The Other Side for big groupers and full stringers of snappers. My next electric reel will be either the 651 or the Penn50TW/Dolphin ElectReel combo.

Catch-All

·
Registered
993 Posts
although I'm jealous as this is the 1st AS trip/charter I've missed in a while, I have to agree with the comment about the bluelines not tasting that great. Not that bad but I agree with the goldens tasting better.
I couldn't be in two places at once like I would have liked as I was in MD blackfishing and we had a great time. I'm glad to see the boys did well though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts