BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a proposal to hold a two day tournament in Ocean City NJ in October. Registration would be on Friday with competition on Saturday and Sunday. Six person teams would pay an entry fee of $400.00 and would compete for the top prizes. $5000.00 first place $3000.00 second place etc. down to aproximately fifth place. What does everyone think? Would you participate? I would like peoples reaction. It would be run similar to the Hatteras tournament with cash prizes instead of tackle prizes. I am very interested in seeing if anglers would show up in big enough numbers to make this feasible and "The Barn" seems like a good place to gauge your reactions.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Sounds like it could be fun if that's your style. Personally, I probably havent even fished with 6 different guys last year and I like it that way.

With that kind of entry fee it shouldn't be one of those tourneys decided by A handful of small bass. Should be end of October, or even later. Spring even better. Spring is king.

RyanF

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
rackmaster,
you have quite a few facts wrong.
it is not a done deal yet and it is to be held next year not this year.
the entry fee is wrong also.
as are the dates.....thurs/fri/saturday
while the premise is true about them planning such a tournament till they announce it it's just an plan.

that said i think it will be a monster of an event drawing teams from up and down the east coast!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tournament Parameters

These are the proposal tidbits I was told. Obviously since nothing has been decided yet there are no "facts" yet. Speaking for myself I think it is a great idea and would like to see it gain some traction. For an event of this size I think the long lead time (2013) is also a good idea. If you have more updated information it would be great to hear about it. The more people are behind it the greater likelyhood it would be a success.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
i too am behind it 100%
while i know a little about it i will wait for the organizers to officially post.
i think it will be a great event
as of now there is only 1 two day tournament in nj........the njbba tournie in wildwood.
the money will definitely bring in a different breed of fishermen/fisherwomen...:fighting::D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Event Management

If you have ever participated in the Hatteras Tournament they have an Expo with vendors and tackle companies. They also have a meet and greet night with pizza and cookies and refreshments. It is a great opportunity for anglers to get together and chat. I work in the events industry for a living and would be willing to help with the logistics side of the tournament. I regret the loss of events like the NJ Angler Tournament, it was a good opportunity to meet a lot of interesting people in the sport of fishing. These are always a good opportunity to learn about the issues facing the sport and advocate our collective views. That is really the reason I joined Bass Barn years ago and it is always good to see new members seeking advice. To me it's not about how I can benefit but what I can share with others. I always find that to be more rewarding, like taking someone surf fishing for the first time... Someone did that for me many yeas ago.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hold it in the sprin. In oct i dont even waste my time in OC anymore n thats where i live. But every year is different. The tables have turned spring is king and fall south of LBI blows unless ur boatin outside of 3mi or dbay eelin n chunckin. Maybe do a surf spring torney that would be awesome like a weekend in late may thats prime time. Boats = easymode

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drive on Tournament

The proposal is for a drive on tournament so it would have to be held well before or after beach season hence the October date. Most towns stop drive ons by some time in May except in special circumstances. I understand your desire for a spring event. We'll see what they end up doing.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
no oct bass in oc?
beg to differ
Ok, say it is surf only and daylight hours only, OCNJ, what do you think the winning team of (6) would have ended up beaching on their best day if the tourney was this past October? Would there have been any bass over 15 LBs marched to the scales? Would there even have been double digit bass weighed in?

I think a pre-requisite to any tournament should be that it is prime season with good shots at decent fish off the beach. In my opinion, $400 bucks a team is a lot to ask to enter a $5K tournament where there may not be enough real bass around to level out the luck factor a little bit.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but if you are trying to make this an annual thing, the first annual tournament synopsis should not end in "The weather was good and the company was great. Great times had by all. By the way, tournament winners were team ClamJuice with five 12 LBers"

RyanF

·
Registered
235 Posts
They are here out in the back but very sparse in the surf the last few years compared to up north is all im sayin. We just dont have the bait here to hold the fish like they do. Bunker might come in one day and you have fish for 2 days but really the fall is beat from what it use to be before all the beach replenishment every 3 years. As soon as a jetty gets good its covered up. Too shallow plus very lil bait and structure equals hard fishin. This year was the best mullet run ive seen in the last 5 years so things are lookin up. Now im talkin strictly fishin from land. I could throw eels or bucktails on the north bar and get fish everyday of the fall or sit in the back n chum clams and kill em. Then again every year is different.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
first off this is not a stripers only tournament.
there are many fish that count.
also whats wrong with catching 5-12lbers?
that would win a lot of tournaments!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Well, I kind of agree with several of the guys sentiments. At $80 per man (or whatever), don't think I'd be racing to join an OC NJ tournament. I love OC by the way - it's where I started surf fishing and I've fished those north jetties at least 100 times over the years. The reality over the past few years, there's much better fishing to be had elsewhere. Now of course things might be different next year or 2013, but recent history speaks pretty loudly.

I'd rather be chasing fish with a close buddy (or solo) somewhere else in the dark, and let others duke it out in OC for slim pickings in October.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
What other fish? A $400/team kingfish tourney? Snappers? 3 LB tog? 14" weaks?

It sounds like a great time. Meet lots of people and catch a few fish. Not being into the tourney scene, is that something people shell out $80 bucks for? I understand its part of the game, I just think a $400/team tourney for schoolies and panfish is absurd. Would that really draw guys to OC from hours away?

I think I am starting to sound like a dick now, so I hope that no offense is being taken. Since you aired on here asking for thoughts I am just offering mine.

RyanF

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All valid opinions

No I think this is the kind of information we need to explore if we want it to be successful. I value all opinions and positive or negative feedback. Since something like this is an unknown event for our area we need to look at what it will take to make it great.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
evidently there are tournament people and non-tournament people.
those that fish surf tournaments(and there are many)understand.
it is not fish specific,it is competition to catch what is out there.
if you win with a 12" blue or a 40" striper,you still win.
a chance to win thousands of dollers in cash and prizes is well worth the entry fee to me.
i drive to other states for tournies that offer a lot less.
the comeraderie plays a big part in these events also.
good fishing with good friends plus a chance to win money......how can you beat it?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I want to remind you there is already a tournament that runs all weekend in the fall. It is the Great Fall Classic sponsered by the NJBBA. It is run in two different formats. The standard team comp on Sat and than an individual section that runs overnite. It is held normally over Columbus Day weekend. Also don't forget the one that is run by one of the site sponsers that covers more than just one beach and is an individual tournament. Than you have the Long Beach Island Striper/Blue Tournament that covers ~6 weeks. Each of these have a lower entry fee. Another question is if planed for the same time frame, would it detract from the other events where all would suffer. Just things that needs to be thought through.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
the proposed tournament being discussed, assuming it comes together, is also being put on by a Barn sponsor - the association of Surf Angling Clubs - which organizes and sanctions 10-15 surf fish tournaments per year to go with a handful of youth HOFNOD events. The team portion of the NJBAA event discussed above is also an ASAC sanctioned tournament.

the event would follow ASAC rules which can viewed at asaconline.org and count towards the year long points/prizes for ASAC clubs. Non ASAC clubs are always welcome on a tourney by tourney basis they just dont carry points over the entire season and are not eligible for year end awards. Dues are $35 per year to become an ASAC club and it doesnt matter if your just 6 guys or a 150 member fishing club.

teams consist of 6 anglers. positions are drawn prior to the start of the event. multiple species score points as scoring is based on length with all State min sizes enforced. Roving judges measure and score ASAP as ASAC encourages CnR of all fish. Anglers can keep if they wish for consumption and if doing so the judges are instructed to clip the tail to ensure no fish is counted twice.

obviously, these events arent for everyone. to each their own. but ASAC events typically average 30 six man teams and a few events, generally the LBIFC and HRFA events, get over 50 teams.

The usual one day tourney generally has an entry fee of $50. And a host club organizes and runs the event to raise funds for their year long activities. Cash prizes are not the norm and in some cases your only fish for camraderie and a plaque. The proposed OC event would take it to another level, a level n par with the Cape Hatteras Anglers Club tourney in Nov, Nags Head Surf Fishing Club event in Oct, Ocracoke Invitational in May, and Neptune festival in VA beach in September..........all of which get 80+ teams (CHAC = 120) and have waiting lists of as many. Number of teams is limited by the beach available.

Spring in OC will not work because access shuts down too early.

Some folks dont like the idea of drawing positions because they might not get "a good spot." BS. The best anglers win regardless of spot drawn. It gets proven on a week to week and year to year basis. Some of the ASAC teams could let you pick your own spot and they would still beat you :wave::razz:.

Anyone can catch a kingfish or sm blue. But can you (and your 5 team mates) catch more than the other teams? Its good, friendly, and for the most part honest competition amongst some of the greatest people you"ll ever meet. Did I mention they organize multiple youth fishing tournaments per year? Make donations to UMAP, CHAPA, OBPA..... So even if its not your cup of tea the support would help our (land based anglers) fight in other areas.

Ive been fortunate enough to be on several winning teams. The one we had 500+ inches of bass on the north end of Brig. Others it was a single 15" bluefish. You cant predict the weather and you can only catch whats there, but everyone is on the same field and you see who make can make the most of it.

If you havent done it, give it a try.

If you have done it, then your prolly gonna be there, and I"ll see you when the season starts back up in May. :wave:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I would enter a team and I am sure I could create a friendly competition with a few other shops that would cause them to possibly want to kick my a$$. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts