BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i jus spooled my new spinning reel with 50lb powerpro. I am worried if this will be okay to use off party boats and from the surf or is it overkill and will cause me problem?

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
No Go On Party Boats. Mono Only Usually Due To Tangles WELCOME ABOARD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great point i didnt even think of that how do you feel about using it from the surf will it be okay? i looked up the diamater and it is actually smaller than the ande 30 lb test

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Burgerboy said:
great point i didnt even think of that how do you feel about using it from the surf will it be okay? i looked up the diamater and it is actually smaller than the ande 30 lb test
I AM NOT A SURF GUY BUT LOTS OF GUYS USE IT FOR THAT.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Depends on the size of the reel. For the surf on my bait rod I have 65lb. power pro. That is a large reel on an 11' rod. For party boat fishing....most boats will not let you use braid for bluefish...but for other species you should be O.K.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
will be fine from the surf can cast a mile with it some party boats will let you use it but its not consider good practice like phish said welcome aboard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill be using an 8 ft rod rated up to 2 ounces will this be okay to throw some diamond jigs n poppers from the surf?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
50 lb. Power Pro is good stuff. It's thick enough for easy knot tying and thin enough to cast very well. Try a 50' top shot(like the off shore guys do) for the party boat use. I never did it on a spinner but if it helps it's ok.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I fish mainly on party boats and never had a problem using it. A lot of times the mono guys are the trouble makers. They let too much line out because they can't hold bottom and refuse to swith to a heavier weight and tangle everyone the hell up. Most bottom fishing trips on head boats, I use 8oz of lead with braid and fish verticle the whole time. I do agree though that braid is not recomended for a blue fishing trip and party boats will not let you use it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts