BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for an used motor for my 14' jon boat. It is an older, deep and wide (48") Polarcraft. I use it on local lakes and a small river with some current. I am considering either a 6hp or 8 hp motor. I am not sure which way to go. I usually take the motor off and store it when not in use, so I don't want it too heavy to carry and I am leaning towards the 6hp. However, if there is a real reason to have the bigger engine, I need to know that. Is there much difference in weight? Any opinions are welcome. thanks.

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I am shopping for an used motor for my 14' jon boat. It is an older, deep and wide (48") Polarcraft. I use it on local lakes and a small river with some current. I am considering either a 6hp or 8 hp motor. I am not sure which way to go. I usually take the motor off and store it when not in use, so I don't want it too heavy to carry and I am leaning towards the 6hp. However, if there is a real reason to have the bigger engine, I need to know that. Is there much difference in weight? Any opinions are welcome. thanks.
I ran a 8.5hp on my 14' Lowe. It ran pushed the boat great, and wasn't too heavy to carry. There were a couple of times I was WOT and wished it was a little faster, especially when we had 2 people + gear.

I would probably suggest the 8

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Not all motor are created equal. Years ago we had a ted williams 7.5 hp motor we used for the rancocas. It was slow but got you there. We replaced it with a 6 hp honda and could pull a skier. When your buying an outboard that size you have figure if you want it to have a self contained tank or external (6gal) tank. Keep your eyes in the barn sale. Every once in a while they have small engines reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Why not go with a 15? In current you'll be happy you had the extra power. Older OMC's are always popping up, and those motors are pretty bullet proof. The 9.9 and 15 are virtually the same motor, and the 9.9 I have is pretty manageable.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Why not go with a 15? In current you'll be happy you had the extra power. Older OMC's are always popping up, and those motors are pretty bullet proof. The 9.9 and 15 are virtually the same motor, and the 9.9 I have is pretty manageable.
I agree on the OMC 9.9/15hp, but the most important thing is prop dia if you are going to hang with the 6/8hp engines. An engine that twists a bigger dia wheel slower or the same rpm will do more pushing than and engine that twists a smaller wheel at the same or faster rpms. Just off hand I'm not sure if an 8 hp swings more dia or is it just pitch. More pitch will help, but not as much as dia at the speeds you are talking.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made the move this morning and bought an 8 hp Johnson that seems like a totally sweet motor. I am looking forward to trying it out ASAP. Thanks Barners - again - for your opinions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts