BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 600ft of 1/2" Anchor Line that has to be un-raveled. What is the easiest way to do this without getting frustrated?

·
Registered
258 Posts
hey

if you have a dog attach a toy to one end and make em run

it would be plenty of exercise for the dog

it would get it out with no tangles

i kno it seems silly

but it may work

thanx

kyle

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the dog chase will not work. I think I'll soak the line in water then have another set of hands to help on the other end.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
put it in a barrel or trash can. As the twist come out rotate the can. I do it all the time it works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I installed a new 1/2" GOOD rope windlass with 300 ft of rode. Tom Ring Jr. at GOOD told me the best way to do it is to have the spool on a broom handle set on your bow rail. as you pay the line out...here's the important part, with nothing but the eye on the end.....have someone run the boat in reverse. At the end, feed it into the windlass...if you are using a windlass.... and power it back in. I had a friend of mine make me a resin coated 3/4" plywood stop block. After i fed the line into the windlass and got it in the locker, I tied off the stop block, then pulled the rope in with the windlass. There are no twists in it, and it coils nicely into a basket. I would imagine you can do the same for just setting it into a locker with out a windlass. Hope that helps..

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
In my younger years an old lineman showed me what he called burning in the rope. He would take a single wrap around the butt of a utility pole and tie the line to a truck. He would then feed the line keeping moderate tension(similar to slipping a line on a capstan) as the truck drove slowly away. You would then have your 600' of straight untwisted rode which you could coil as you wish. He also showed me another trick he used if he wasn't paying attention to how he fed the line. It was called the short splice.:D

·
Registered
949 Posts
CAPTKIRK said:
In my younger years an old lineman showed me what he called burning in the rope. He would take a single wrap around the butt of a utility pole and tie the line to a truck. He would then feed the line keeping moderate tension(similar to slipping a line on a capstan) as the truck drove slowly away. You would then have your 600' of straight untwisted rode which you could coil as you wish. He also showed me another trick he used if he wasn't paying attention to how he fed the line. It was called the short splice.:D
I do this with all my new rope. Takes the memory out of the rope and allows it to be coiled freely. Just make sure the driver is paying attention or you could loose a finger!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Sea Horse said:
Sounds complicated. Is there an easier way?
What's complicated about it????????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts