BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Sooo what does this have to do with striped bass here?

Article is BS. Poor regulation is too blame. Many of the regulations force this waste....if the govt wants to point the finger they can point it at their own ham-handed ignorance of the industry....besides their numbers here are inflated greatly in order to incite eco-zealots

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sooo what does this have to do with striped bass here?

Article is BS. Poor regulation is too blame. Many of the regulations force this waste....if the govt wants to point the finger they can point it at their own ham-handed ignorance of the industry....besides their numbers here are inflated greatly in order to incite eco-zealots

How does this not relate to striped bass fishing? All that waste and killing of sea life effects all fish populations.
The study was done by a non profit group.I did not see the government mentioned in the article at all nor did I see them pointing the finger at anyone as you stated.

And How do the government regulations force this waste?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I am all in favor for giving everyone the freedom to earn a living. But what do you think would happen to our fisheries if the government paid the commercial guys like they do the farmers and kept the nets and long lines off the water for a year or 2? Maybe my son would be able to catch a mackerel off NJ in April like I used to before the nets and governor Whitman let them all get caught.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am all in favor for giving everyone the right to earn a living. But what do you think would happen to our fisheries if the government paid the commercial guys like they do the farmers and kept the nets and long lines off the water for a year or 2? Maybe my son would be able to catch a mackerel off NJ in April like I used to until the nets and governor Whitman let them all get caught.

its to the point now that our seafood should have to be farm raised. Pillaging the ocean has to end. we have the technology to do it. we farm raise all our other food, lets do it with ALL our seafood.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Fisherman and their families need to boycot supermarket seafood. If you can catch your own food in a responsible manner why pay inflated prices that support the commercial raping of our oceans. I personally havent bought supermarket fish in 5 years. It doesn't taste anywhere near as good as fresh fish. Sushi.... I'm a bit of a fraud as I eat yellowtail sushi (I avoid bluefin tuna). My wife plans on learning to make our own sushi (I already grill, smoke, and cook enough!) out of striped bass and flounder this year. I have heard it tastes great. I'm looking forward to be a complete non supporter of the commercial fishing industry. ---- This is not a personal attack to commerical fisherman. I'm sure your not all aholes like the people who regulate our fisheries.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The question of permit-able bycatch is very difficult. No one wants to see bycatch dumped at sea, dead. But if allowed to sell by catch, the numbers would sky rocket.

To me, the by catch of shrimp boats is way over the top. They have like a 10-1 ratio, 10 pounds over board dead (juvenile babies) per pound of shrimp. Anyone who has worked a dredge for glass shrimp knows what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
its to the point now that our seafood should have to be farm raised. Pillaging the ocean has to end. we have the technology to do it. we farm raise all our other food, lets do it with ALL our seafood.
Farm raised isn't seafood!
LBI, is right the numbers are a joke, and this kind of thinking is just what they want!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The question of permit-able bycatch is very difficult. No one wants to see bycatch dumped at sea, dead. But if allowed to sell by catch, the numbers would sky rocket.]
I don't understand why everyone thinks by catch is some kind of gold? 90% isn't even worth the ice you'd put it on.. Maybe it would be worth something if America didn't import 90% of it's "seafood". :rolleyes: Flash frozen talapia, farm raised in a pond, in China. And feed animal $hit! Yeah, we should farm raise all our fish...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I don't understand why everyone thinks by catch is some kind of gold? 90% isn't even worth the ice you'd put it on.. Maybe it would be worth something if America didn't import 90% of it's "seafood". :rolleyes: Flash frozen talapia, farm raised in a pond, in China. And feed animal $hit! Yeah, we should farm raise all our fish...:rolleyes:

"90% isn't even worth the ice you'd put it on." Oh bunk. Do you even understand what I typed. I'm saying that the by catch IS valuable, yes actually PURE GOLD

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
"90% isn't even worth the ice you'd put it on." Oh bunk. Do you even understand what I typed. I'm saying that the by catch IS valuable, yes actually PURE GOLD
I'm sorry I thought I understood? What fishery are you talking about?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
When I drag the bay for grass shrimp, I've never caught dogs wingers etc. It's juvenile weakies, flounder, grass minnows, sea horses, etc. That's not what you are talking about though, and as my post mentioned, I understand and appreciate the quandary commercials are dealing with.

Like a long liner pulling up a full string of bluefin

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
..........Maybe it would be worth something if America didn't import 90% of it's "seafood". :rolleyes:.........
If 90% of the seafood America uses is imported, then why do we even allow commercial fishing in our waters?

Leave those fish for the charters/recs, which generate far more commerce per fish, and let the restaurants use all the imported stuff.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
When I drag the bay for grass shrimp, I've never caught dogs wingers etc. It's juvenile weakies, flounder, grass minnows, sea horses, etc. That's not what you are talking about though, and as my post mentioned, I understand and appreciate the quandary commercials are dealing with.

Good answer! but, I bet ya, you can't name another!;)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If 90% of the seafood America uses is imported, then why do we even allow commercial fishing in our waters? Ahh, some people in America actually do like to eat wild caught fish? People like yourself!

Leave those fish for the charters/recs, which generate far more commerce per fish, Do you have any facts to back that up? Fish are a resource for all Americans, not just rec. fishermen? and let the restaurants use all the imported stuf They already do!!! If people actually cared about over fishing, they'd by american caught fish! We have the toughest regs in the world!! Think about it...
You going togging at all this month Joe?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

I 100% agree I think the by-catch for dragging shrimp is disgusting. I guess I was more focused locally, the local by-catch(sellable) species are not pure gold.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts