BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a rod in the 6'6" - 7' Range. Spinning. This rod will be paired with a penn live liner 5600. It will mainly be used for snag and drop via boat and kayak. As well as throwing lures from a boat/kayak. Any suggestions? Price is big issue...would like under $100. if i have to go over...so be it :cool: but id rather not...

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I won a Jarvis Walker Royale Gold Customs rod from a tournament a few years ago. It is a great rod, I use it mostly for jigging out front. It is rated for 3/4 - 4oz. Handled a 39lb bass like it was nothing. Not sure on the price but can't be anymore than $70

·
Registered
914 Posts
I use Shimano Clarus rods and I love them. They started making a 10 - 20 lb class rod but that might be a little light. They make a Compre series muskie rod that is heavier which might be a good choice. The Compre series is IM8 graphite while the Clarus is IM7 (IM8 is a little more sensitive) plus you get a lifetime warranty w/ the Shimanos.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the suggestions. would you guys go M or MH action? remember i need to have the back bone to snag bunker with this thing. but i dont want it so heavy i cant load it up a bit and throw a lure.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Personally I almost always get MH rods. Lol not really sure why that is, but it does the trick for me. I'd check out the Shimanos though (just my opinion as I love them) the Clarus goes for around 70 or 80 bucks and the muskee rods are like 100-120 I think. I use the 7' MH Clarus 8-17 lb line 1/4 - 3/4 lure w/ a Shimano Sphero 3000 spinning reel and I use this setup for everything in the back bay (drifting for flounder from the boat, sod bank and wader fishing, bridge fishing for stripers, togging from bridges and jettys, and even snagging bunker from the bridge though I'll admit is a little light for this if you are mainly using it for that) For me this setup is perfect b/c small fish like shad and herring are fun yet handles big fish very well (36" striper from bridge and about 40 lb bullnose ray) Good luck in your search

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, so i looked these rods up. the clarus seems way to light for snag and drop use. the trevala is like $200. the triumph as well is a little more then i want to spend, would rather keep it under 100.

the jarvis walker may be a possibility. ill have to go to fisherman's supply with the reel and check out some rods...

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm, im trying to compare it to the live liner i have to see if its a good match...

so, stiff enough to snag and swim bunker, light enough to throw lures? i think i may go for it... if i dont find something at the Berkeley flea market, ill probably order it

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yea I was saying the Clarus is a little light for what you want to do w/ it. They have the Compre Muskie series (rated for 3/4 - 2 oz). I forgot about the Teramar series also. They have one or two in that series that are rated for 3/4 - 3 oz. which would probably be perfect. I have Compre conventional muskie rods (haven't used them yet) and a Teramar 6'6" (just used this today and it is very sensitive) Both of these rods retail for a little over $100 (109-129). I can't speak for the rods that others are talking about but these rods will be ultra sensitive (I think you said you also wanted to jig w/ them) and they both have lifetime warranties (the Teramar is over the counter I believe) I broke my Clarus, sent it back to Shimano ($9 for shipping) and within a week I had a new rod. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks...like i said, im gunna check out a few flea markets first, then decide. was just looking for some insight. no jigging. strictly snagging and swimming bunker and occasionally casting lures from boat/kayak.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I have a spinning quantum blue runner that i'm trying to find a purpose for.

Do you think I should use it as a freshwater bass rod instead of in the salt? It's a BRIS70MLA, but I cannot find any info on it, anywhere. IM8 blank, 7'.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I use mine for deep water flukin, seabass, tog, slammer blues, brown sharks, backbay flukin, GP and LER striper, Collins cove perch. They have them at Tackle Direct for less than I paid at Dicks 4 years ago, I've caugt 15# stripers, 20# blues and 7# tog and never broke one. I like it better than an Ugly for the price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.