BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my son out with the hopes of at least showing him a dogfish, brownie, or even a skate. Absolutely nothing. one little nibble and no hook up. Was able to get two nice bunker from Jim's in Cape May and took the ride up to a spot I used to always go to. Tide was incoming and water seemed to be upper 60s low 70s, no sea weed, no dolphin, some ospreys with what looked to be bunker. Other guys fishing too, no fish that i saw. Definitely some crabs out there tearing up the bunker. Low tide is always better around there.

Son still had fun so that's all that matters

Water Sky Cloud Shorts Fishing rod

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
Some days are tough, been out there and you would think not a fish or crab was swimming in the ocean. Including fish bites, clam, bunker, sand fleas being thrown in the session, not to mention poppers and bucktails on the side! It happens :D :D

But then, one day, you will "step in it", it's all alive and nothing you do is wrong. Rare.

In between, enjoy the time... at that age, fun is the name of the game! Good stuff!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m on the surf of Strathmere at least once a week for years. There’s always a couple of the same people there right at the Sea Isle line. I never have much luck but I don’t expect much from flats like that area. I certainly don’t depend on dinner from the surf down there. The thing that blows my mind is how you set up your space and all the other people fishing respect your space. Then a bunch of people come up and swim or play right in front of my lines! Many times they get tangled up in my line. I had a woman tell me that I should be fishing somewhere else. Now I’ve been there since 6 or 7 am and there’s no doubt what I am doing. Throwing 3 or 4 ounce pointed weights with sharp hooks on fishing string into the water. They are the same people who let their little kids in the water alone as they sit on the beach and drink and fall to sleep. No life guards in that area either. I just stand there amazed that a six year old starts to float out on a rip current as the parents are drunk asleep. Finally, the area sort of cleared out when I pulled this in last year to return it to the sea.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I’m on the surf of Strathmere at least once a week for years. There’s always a couple of the same people there right at the Sea Isle line. I never have much luck but I don’t expect much from flats like that area. I certainly don’t depend on dinner from the surf down there. The thing that blows my mind is how you set up your space and all the other people fishing respect your space. Then a bunch of people come up and swim or play right in front of my lines! Many times they get tangled up in my line. I had a woman tell me that I should be fishing somewhere else. Now I’ve been there since 6 or 7 am and there’s no doubt what I am doing. Throwing 3 or 4 ounce pointed weights with sharp hooks on fishing string into the water. They are the same people who let their little kids in the water alone as they sit on the beach and drink and fall to sleep. No life guards in that area either. I just stand there amazed that a six year old starts to float out on a rip current as the parents are drunk asleep. Finally, the area sort of cleared out when I pulled this in last year to return it to the sea.
same scenario when i fish from the bank on a lake or even when trout fishing in a stream, people who do not fish do not have a clue about respecting the fisherman, best to fish early or late

·
Registered
4 Posts
You got that right. I hit my same dead spot on the Strathmere Beach today. I really don’t care if I catch anything, that’s why they call it “fishing” not “catching fish”. I actually had a woman with her children come up and ask if it was ok for her kids to go into the water near where I was fishing!!! “No problem, as a matter of fact, I’ll pull in my rigs and when they are done I’ll go back to fishing.” She said she lived nearby and doesn’t get to take her kids to the beach that much because of the beach tags and parking. When they got out of the water I caught a spot and asked the kids if they wanted to see a fish, ( a small fish). They were probably 5 or 6 years old. Finally, a family that had some respect. I don’t want to be disrespectful to people not from around there, but that’s a local respecting someone with a rod. Every time they needed to go soak, I’d reel my junk in so they won’t get caught up in anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts