BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With Cat due to do some repairs on thursday and friday the jersey cape was out of the question.

Loaded the mako for unknown battles: trolling gear, shark rigs, spearfishing gear and two very important bean bags...

Left the dock at 3am, intending to head to the canyon. Ran into some stiffer than anticipated SW wind and changed our destination to the 30 fathom line. Trolled the 30 fathom line SE of barnegat inlet at first light and picked up a nice gaffer bull right away. fished weighed 17 pounds.

ran over an unknown(to me) lump in 30 fathoms and marked fish right away. Without outriggers we were trolling an interesting spread of skirted ballyhoo and a couple of 9"canyon runner rainbow squid bars. 5 seconds after marking a ton of fish two ballyhoo went off. Didn't leave it in gear as there wasn't really room to fight more than two fish at once. Boated one 48" bluefin and released another just smaller.

Turned around, hit the edge of the lump, marked fish, and three more rods went off. One dropped off immediately. the fish hit a canyon runner squid bar and two skirted ballyhoo. we fought the remaining two to the boat and released them for a later date.

repeated the process one more time and hooked up with one more fish. this last fish hit a rainbow squid bar and was just over 40 inches. Back to its friends it went..

It was about 6:45 and we were very eager to do some spearfishing..

Moved the cursor over to the tip of the carteret and discovered it was an hour away. Pulled in the spread and fired up the engines..

Ran into one string of pots 9 miles short of the tip.. the lobstermen must have had us in mind as it was a perfect way to break up the ride.

immediately had fish next to the boat as we idled up to the high flyer. jumped in and shot 2 dolphin, both around 8 pounds. the other end wasn't holding dolphin.

we ran the remaining 9 miles and hit the pots between the carteret and the NE side of the lindenkohl.

Shot a total of 10 fish, though we could have had all we wanted. We were just trying to pick out the fish in the 8-10 pound range. We didnt see any bigger fish, many smaller.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Rubber Band Man ...

Takes on the pelagic sea creature line-up.

Nice harvest with all sorts of NMFS controlled gear.

How did the bluefin taste? Spicy with the wasabi?

·
Registered
160 Posts
nice day Stew! I called you about jumpng on with me while you're boat is down. Let me know and we'll watch the weather for the next few days.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Man I have to try that, I am bringing my gear with me next time, do you guys use snorkle vests are just hit the surface?

Are your spears tied to the gun or a float? If you can email me [email protected] so I can get some tips

I have been spearfishing for years but only when I scuba, I have been wanting to get into free dive spearing.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Horse Mackerel

Just wait until one of those silly LBI lifeguards attempt to spear a tunafish ...

All the NMFS enforcement agents will be waiting to cuff 'em at the Inlet.

Can we call it a bad shot with the dart?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no one is doing that till it's legal.. it's not worth the fine.

i'd surely like to see a bunch of yellowfin swimming by, but it's pretty cool to watch a school explode on 8 baits..

·
Registered
785 Posts
Right on Stu....you are truly a fishing fanatic bro...just ordered the beanbags for our rig...gonna try chunking after this front rolls thru...keep me on the overniter shortlist for the Pez when the Cat doctor gets done with her...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts