BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Headed to 40 fathoms inside the lindenkohl and trolled out towards the tip.

Had a nice gaffer dolphin as we were feeding out the first ballyhoo on the longrigger.

Trolled by a couple of pots in 45 fathoms which were holding some chicken dolphin and up came a rat white. the 40 pound white inhaled a blue/white skirted select ballyhoo and threw the hook on its 2nd jump.

had a our first shot at yellowfin two miles inshore of the 100 fathom tip. made short work of them and went 3 for 4 on two 20 pound fish and a 45 pounder. three fish hit skirted ballyhoo and one hit a rainbow squid spreader bar.

a few hours later we had another shot in 50 fathoms just south of the tip. two big splashes and three tiny splashes on baits and three hooked up. landed a skippy in no time(one of the tiny splashes) and worked a little harder for the other two. boated a 20 pound yellowfin and a 45 pounder, both yellowfins hit skirted ballyhoo.

had some more dolphin around a pot just off the edge near the tip and then got slammed by a pissed off white. the white came in on a ballyhoo skirted with a purple/black canyon runner jet, then slammed a green machine spreader bar, then hit a 9" rainbow squid bar, then finally sreamed off with a yellow/green sea witch over ballyhoo before jumping off the hook.

an hour before sunset we had our next shot...we had switched over to 13" squid bars, larger ballyhoo, and a few big lures. on the southwest wall in 700 feet of water the yellowfin attacked our baits... went 5 for 5 on yellowfin in the 45-65 pound range with another 15 fish hitting the teasers hanging from the riggers during the fights. the last fish brought in was foul hooked in the back and it prevented us from dropping down the jigs(thought it was a really nice fish)..

went out to 500 fathoms and trolled until an hour after dark without a knockdown.

set up on the NE corner in 100 fathoms for the night. put out the chum and baits and had a small mako swimming around within an hour. the 40 pound mako was baited, fought and released... the hook pulled while deciding whether to remove the hook or to cut it off.. problem solved.

less than 5 minutes after releasing the little one, a 110-120 pound mako swam through the slick and then bit a balloon. while reeling in the bait to reset the balloon the mako inhaled the mackeral 20 feet off the transom. i got a lot of grief for it but i had to try my new poon harpoon. mako steaks on the grill right now.

for 2 hours the morning troll produced nothing for us, though other boats had some fish. packed it up around 7:30 and headed in.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
great report! your killing me! Tuna-tuna-tuna!~ weather gods don't look kind in the near future, hope it gets better. Great job and report!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
stew thanks for having me,all i can think of right now is AWESOME:) .had a great time.great ride and one fishing machine of a boat.ive never seen a white before.last week we had one in the baits,but i was on a afternoon siesta!that was an awesome site seeing the white go back and forth,jumping here to there,and then coming back into the spread again and again!great meeting everybody,it was a pleasure,thanks again:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks Stew,
I assume the boat is up and running fine. Congratulations on another good trip. Are you fishing Beach Haven? Look me up at the captains meeting.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Good report and good trip!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys,

mike, you're welcome any time. i agree, seeing those marlin flying through the air is incredible.

carl, we opted not to do it this year.. i may be down that way for the weigh-ins though..

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Congradulations on a great trip, that's a great sign. We were going to go today but had a problem at the home and had to cancel. Did you guys come across any temp. breaks out there?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Right on Stew!!! Wish i coulda went....someday you will show me some of your mad tuna skills....I went to Massy and only got 1 40lb Bluefin(our first) on a jig...saw lots of 100+ fish that would not cooperate...awesome report bro

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CJ, burn? not on me.. i was on the throttles.. that/those fish came back time after time after time..burn on BLdoug is more like it..i'll show him this post and he'll give you a thumb jab in the ribs..

i was juicing the throttles just to get the bait out of the mouths.. i didn't want to reel in the teasers and the 11 other lines before going in reverse..

truth is, those hooks just wouldn't stick.. maybe next time..

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Great Trip Stew And You Had A Good Angler In Mike,his Father Is A Good Angler But The Porky Brother Box(sean) Is Just Fair And I Get Stuck With Him All The Time.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Utility Infielder for a Bullpen Pitcher ...

Doug can gaff, but the points money needs a bill or two this week.

Do you want to execute a trade before the deadline?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts