BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this on another site, Didn't see the info on the Barn but then again I didn't look to hard. 74lbs Bass caught off VA,

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Nice fish !!! looks alot bigger than that so called 80 lber caught a few months ago. Whats up with that dudes boots ???:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
971 Posts
John Denver

I think it's John Denver!

Take me home, country road...

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Boots -custom made 'shock absorbers' built in to be able to plant your feet against the side of the boat-lest should a 75 lb.bass pull you over the side during the battle.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Pretty work cap you should put that in the striped bass forum

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Its only a matter of time before we see that 100# bass. I walked into a house that had a mount on the wall measuring 71" several years ago. It was longer than the couch it was hanging over. :eek: Was caught in the nets and was dead when it hit the deck, at least that's the story I was told. This guy claimed that he had released a few this size over the years. Many commercial guys claim to see big fish out there too. I think it may happen in my lifetime, who knows.

Anyway, great fish! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I believe quite a few bass over 80lbs have been hooked over the last 20 years, but landing them is the hard part :D:fighting::D !!! I saw a mount years ago at the Pennsauken expo center of a 90+ lber that was said to be caught in a net,I think off VA or MD.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I saw probably the same bass at the Ft.Washington show 7 or 8 yrs ago 92lbs caught in a net, it was huge, It was funny since one of the charter boats there had one that was around 60lbs and had a sign under it saying this one wasn't caught in a commercial net. I'm sure many big bass have been lost that would have broken the record many times over, but not so much in the last 15 yrs or so. One of the big reasons I think we'll have striper records broken now is the advancements made in the gear we use. When everyone used to use mono set-ups which had limited line capacity if you went heavy mono. plus the reels made to utilize the braid advantage drag systems can handle much heavier fish. It's funny since the outfits look and are so much smaller and lighter then striper gear in the past years but most of them will handle pretty much whatever size bass you hook upto. We use Avet Sx and MX set-ups with 50lb braid for chunking stripers or livelineing them, these same set-ups we easily handle 80lb+ drumfish and also have landed school size tuna with the MX reels. I use the Shimano Trevela 6'6" TVC-66H rods rated for 80-200lb test braid for just about everything we fish for. If we do have bigger bluefin in the area we'll go to an Avet HX or similar size 2-speed jigging reel. I think with this type of gear being used by alot of anglers now your not going tobe overmatched by an 80 or 90lb striper. What is the status of the 81.88 lber caught by the guy from CT I just saw photos of it and an article in the "ON THE WATER MAGAZINE" caught 8/5/11 it looks like that's going to take the top spot for the World Record Striper, I know it takes awhile to become official and must go thru alot of red tape to qualify but that was just caught in the past year. I did think it would have been longer, it was listed at 54"s so I guess it had a huge girth, it looks alot longer then that in the photos, this guy was useing a Quantum Cabo reel with Braid 50lb test fluorocarbon leader, I didn't see any mention of the rod or pound test of the braid he said he caught it on a 24" eel.. This guy is a hardcore Striper fishermen with muliple 60lbers to his credit and one over 70lbs as well. but it looks like he may have got the New WR at 81.88 lbs if it all goes thru so they're definetly out there. Really amazeing that the previous bass went so long without being broken, I'm not sure if this one will make it thru all the red tape but seems like it may.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
100 lb Bass

There are some netters in the Chesapeake that swear they have releasedc bass over 100 lbs.
Over the many years of neeting bass & bunker, they have released some monsters & more than 1 or 2 guys all have stories.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
storys r just that...imo. i have a cell phone and take pics of dam near everything imaginable. anyone ever having a 100 lb striper on deck i would think snap a pic. seeing is believing. no argiments what so ever!!. all the storys anymore could b backed with just a quick photo so we can argue true size.lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts