BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering this warm/mild winter we have had (heck the bay didnt freeze once i dont think) what are your predictions as far as the early season striper fishing going to be you think?

Lol, imn asking becuase this will be my first spring into the striper fishing, and i want to know if its worth freezing my *** off in a yak this early.

·
Registered
897 Posts
im gonna think negative in hopes of the positive.
i think its gonna be a late one.its not too mild out now.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The season will start earlier and better than last year. The fish are still in the rips and the resident bass should be around in the back. I think a decent amount of bass will be caught by the first weekend in March.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I told them all to hide until May when I get back.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I think it will be an early season, much better than last year.

In my opinion, bait should produce better than lures in most instances. Fish will still be a bit sluggish until the water warms a little more.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Its gonna be a cold march or atleast thats the forecast. That really sux that winter is gonna show up now instead of in january when it should have. I think thats gonna make it a late start because water temps might drop off the next few weeks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by Partnership:
Ramblin- been awful quiet this Winter. How ya been, bro?
I've been good Tommy, thanks... Actually have been working more than playin so far. Have only been out 5 or 6 times. But the good news is I just got a great addition for the boat, a Treo! Now I can send and recieve emails while fishing! I will begin tormenting soon as winter has finally kicked in up there. As always Tom, would love to have you visit.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
What we all have to look for right now is the black tip shrimp "hatch". A few years ago in early march I ran into a man who drove from millvile down to cape may county and he explained this occurance to me. They start to move around march, in mass, and then when the temps rise in April they head for the open sea to become krill for the whales and other filter feeders. They are larger than a grass shrimp at about 2 to 3 inches long and have a distinct patch of black at the tip of their tail. For early season Striped bass they are the perfect food source. Flowing down the intracoastal water way and canal systems, the bass wait in shaddow lines and abundments sipping them from the surface. The aformentioned man netted them with a fine long handled dip net and chummed them for bass at confidentail locales and loaded up on fish when all seemed dead. These shrimp get suprisily big and the bass can get quite agressive when they "pop" the suface to feed. Only a few lures coax a reliable interest as the bass tend to be very hook shy when drifting shrimp come to their snout.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The "black tipped shrimp" are called sand shrimp and they do grow larger then the typical grass shrimp which are abundant throughout our back bays. The sand shrimp swim in a straight line, head first, while the grass shrimp propell themselves backwards like a lobster.

Even though cooler then average temps are forecast right now for early March, the sun is out longer and at a greater angle (greater meaning more direct)to the earth which promotes radiational heating. Even if the air temps are cool, shallow bays with a dark bottom will still warm quickly this time of year as long as it is not too windy.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
prediction...The end of cabin fever, the joy of just being there (with the chance), greeting friends that share the same & compareing notes, shareing coffie/baits & tales from long ago, just "absorbing/inhaleing" the natural change in the weather, just.....being a part of it all
. True happiness is always on the lookout for you.....when you make yourself more visable to her....she shall find you....at times, instainously!
"quote-clamchucker 2006" ha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts