BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a work trip down in Ft. Lauderdale for a med convention last week into the weekend. A rep/work friend & I peeled out early for an afternoon with Captain Jeff Maggio. Both of us both hooked into 80-90lb Tarpon in the shallows right as the sun was fading in just hours of looking for the monsters.

Probably the best inshore fight I have had in my life, this poon breached 4 times, and by far jumped the highest when it hit the bait... was an amazing sight & fight to say the least!!! Probably took me 30+ minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-RgvQluzw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Premium Member
13,509 Posts
They are great aren't they? Unbelieveable fight in shallow water. My annual tarpon trip with my brother is scheduled for May 22-24. I can hardly wait. This will be our 6th year in a row, and we've averaged 20 tarpon per year.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Had a work trip down in Ft. Lauderdale for a med convention last week into the weekend. A rep/work friend & I peeled out early for an afternoon with Captain Jeff Maggio. Both of us both hooked into 80-90lb Tarpon in the shallows right as the sun was fading in just hours of looking for the monsters.

Probably the best inshore fight I have had in my life, this poon breached 4 times, and by far jumped the highest when it hit the bait... was an amazing sight & fight to say the least!!! Probably took me 30+ minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-RgvQluzw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Nice!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
awesome. i've jumped a ton of them but never landed one. closest i got was after a tarpon trip in key west. i was fishing from the fort and hooked a 3' on a spro jig. had it along the rocks until it straightened the hook. they are such cool fish to watch roll.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Now.... you gotta get yourself a flyrod :D:cool:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now.... you gotta get yourself a flyrod :D:cool:
I tell ya, where the cap had us... the tarpon were tailing & making wakes, then at times even going under the boat without a bite... some 100+ class fish were jumping through & smashing bait off in the distance. Seriously, sounded like whales cresting or slapping their tales to a degree. And in no time, it's amazing how all of a sudden the tarpon 'just got hungry' within a 10 minute span.

The fly rod would have worked that day possibly, not me using it, but for someone who can use (& abuse) it!!!

Nice!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks man... wish we could catch bait like those guys down there. I know we have the crabbin' down, but live live bait, c'mon???...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I tell ya, where the cap had us... the tarpon were tailing & making wakes, then at times even going under the boat without a bite... some 100+ class fish were jumping through & smashing bait off in the distance. Seriously, sounded like whales cresting or slapping their tales to a degree. And in no time, it's amazing how all of a sudden the tarpon 'just got hungry' within a 10 minute span.

The fly rod would have worked that day possibly, not me using it, but for someone who can use (& abuse) it!!!

Thanks man... wish we could catch bait like those guys down there. I know we have the crabbin' down, but live live bait, c'mon???...
Very nice man! Did they turn on right around the change of the tide?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
My friend has a few resident 80-90lb class poons hangin around his dock.... may go see if we can hook one tonight. NIce catch!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My friend has a few resident 80-90lb class poons hangin around his dock.... may go see if we can hook one tonight. NIce catch!!
AK, I wish I lived around Southern Florida... area is nothin' short of heaven for a fishermen! While I was out with the Cap that day, a friend of his comes roaring up to us in a skiff from some Tournament in the keys. I asked our Cap, where was he coming from... He was like, "oh that's my buddy, he just placed 2nd or 3rd, & possibly won a Tourney in the Keys & is on his way back, he'll know tomorrow if he won or not."

This Cap took a skiff to the KEYS(or vice versa in this case)!!! One tank of gas...

I'm going to be on Brickell 3/22-3/25. Any half day charters available for Tarpoon?
We did a half day... left the dock around 3ish in the afternoon. I would recommend Captain Jeff if you are looking to charter... www.lunkerdog.com

Great job landing the shallow water king.
Thanks Biggest, this poon definitely fooled me into thinking it was done fighting every time it got next to the boat. It sure wasn't done, and I assuredly know why they are a classified king!!!

·
Registered
16,540 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
AK, I wish I lived around Southern Florida... area is nothin' short of heaven for a fishermen! While I was out with the Cap that day, a friend of his comes roaring up to us in a skiff from some Tournament in the keys. I asked our Cap, where was he coming from... He was like, "oh that's my buddy, he just placed 2nd or 3rd, & possibly won a Tourney in the Keys & is on his way back, he'll know tomorrow if he won or not."

This Cap took a skiff to the KEYS(or vice versa in this case)!!! One tank of gas...

Man we ran out the other day last week for some quick mangrove fishing outside haulover in my friends 17 ft skiff. Love it down here, I dont want to leave ever. Just got back from the keys too... reports in the offshore section

1 - 14 of 14 Posts