BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much hp can stringer 800 handel sa rated for 260 hp can she handel 320 or more

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've had some experience, all bad. A friend had a low hour, well maintained 23 Almand, stripped knuckle gears, seized transom bearing, and blown lowers with a tired small block 2 barrel buick . Some people have had good experiences with them, but you can't trim them so I don't reccommend them for hi hp or hi performance. MartyD

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I had a 78 Slickcraft with the small block chevy and stringer drive. Worst outdrive I ever owned. It worked but it never would tilt when you needed it to. Went through a few tilt motors also. Also had bad seals in upper and middle gear cases. Capt.Matt

·
Registered
921 Posts
if the boat is stopped and you have a h/o motor and bad stringers, the motor can push forward enough on the stringers and tear the boot. i was told that by somebody, so i went on to buy a grady with a rotten transom! wish that guy had known about grady's too!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dont waste your time and money on this drive. If it still working keep the horsepower down as much as possible.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Sirc59 said:
how much hp can stringer 800 handel sa rated for 260 hp can she handel 320 or more
The 800 series used V6 gearcases, but still had the boot. I would not bet on a long life with the extra horses.

Those boots were an easy way to get the morning off at the Test center in Stuart back in the late 70's. Run down to the inlet, stand the boat on end climbing a breaker, launch it off the other side and let the boat land on it's transom. Blows the boot right out. Three of the other test boats would hook up to the sinking boat and drag him back to the test center at 45mph on a bridle.

I knew a bunch of the guy's who worked at the test center in the late 70's and early 80's. I had a gearcase come apart on my 81 235 Evinrude on the 20ft Robalo up near Ft Pierce inlet and three OMC test boats towed me back to Jensen at 45-50mph.. Three 21ft Seabirds two with twin V4's and and other with a 200hp V6. You haven't lived until you experience that..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts